Should I deactivate my facebook while waiting to hear back?

Started by leh1387
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

leh1387

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've gotten an interview to a DPT program recently and I'm wondering if I should deactivate my facebook while waiting to interview and hear back from other schools. Do you know if they can search for you or if schools do this? Any ideas? Thanks.
 
Once something is put on the Internet, it is set in stone. All someone has to do is "Google" your name and "Facebook" and they can find anything that you've posted, liked or any other information you have put on that site.
Hope this helps.
Regards.
Andrew
 
unless you have a picture of you snorting a line of coke I think you're fine haha. I've been accepted to two schools thus far and didn't change my FB habits or deactivate it. Be sensible with the content on your profile and it's completely fine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just changed my last name on my facebook because I am addicted and couldn't deactivate it! lol! I also changed my privacy settings to where everything is friend view only so that not just anyone can look at my page or my pictures. :0)
 
Haha no coke! just a beer but I changed my name so that it couldn't get searched... Thanks for the advice everyone
 
I can't see a committee that reviews hundreds of applications actually taking the time to pay an employee to look up people on facebook.

Obviously a drug addict is not going to have hundreds of volunteer hours and a high gpa/gre.

It is a good idea to clean it anyway because future employers do look at it. My brother actually had a job (not healthcare related) where they asked you to add the interviewer as a friend during the interview.

It would be a good idea to keep your facebook pictures appropriate and profile politically neutral.