Should I Delay a Semester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc331

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This hit me this morning as I was thinking about my tuition bill.

I am set to pay out of state rates this spring. I will then graduate in fall and will hopefully be going to med school the following fall.

I am going to be working full time (nights) as a scribe during the semester, taking 15 credits, and taking the mcat in the spring. I also have a wife and two kids.

Would it be wise to take the semester off of classes in order to save $7000-$9000, work full time as a scribe, and focus on studying for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

This hit me this morning as I was thinking about my tuition bill.

I am set to pay out of state rates this spring. I will then graduate in fall and will hopefully be going to med school the following fall.

I am going to be working full time (nights) as a scribe during the semester, taking 15 credits, and taking the mcat in the spring. I also have a wife and two kids.

Would it be wise to take the semester off of classes in order to save $7000-$9000, work full time as a scribe, and focus on studying for the MCAT?

With the cost of medical school, I feel that saving $7000-$9000 for tuition is negligible (if that would be the money you'd need for moving costs, that's a different story). I definitely vote taking a semester off anyways. Balancing all of those responsibilities and trying to succeed on the MCAT is going to be a huge time commitment. Med school is going to eat up most of your free time once your there. Take this time to enjoy being with your family.

Reactions: 1 user
With the cost of medical school, I feel that saving $7000-$9000 for tuition is negligible (if that would be the money you'd need for moving costs, that's a different story). I definitely vote taking a semester off anyways. Balancing all of those responsibilities and trying to succeed on the MCAT is going to be a huge time commitment. Med school is going to eat up most of your free time once your there. Take this time to enjoy being with your family.

I appreciate the response Intrigued. I tend to agree with you about the debt. I've been so focused on just getting everything done that I have been downplaying the debt and the work required to handle all of the responsibilities. That's what we have to do as adults, but I realized I might be able to do it all more successfully by taking the semester off.

Anyone else have input?

Members don't see this ad :)
I faced a very similar situation and decided to bite the bullet and pay the o-o-s, however I made this decision based on age alone and did go the cheaper route at a community college until residency was established. If it's six months you'll have to wait and you're not getting too old that every year is another off of your shortened medical career, then I'd say go ahead and wait. If you have deep pockets and money isn't too much of an issue, I'd say go after whatever is the more immediate and feasible route. The six months off though, preparing for the MCAT and building the rest of your application, will certainly not be time wasted.

I faced a very similar situation and decided to bite the bullet and pay the o-o-s, however I made this decision based on age alone and did go the cheaper route at a community college until residency was established. If it's six months you'll have to wait and you're not getting too old that every year is another off of your shortened medical career, then I'd say go ahead and wait. If you have deep pockets and money isn't too much of an issue, I'd say go after whatever is the more immediate and feasible route. The six months off though, preparing for the MCAT and building the rest of your application, will certainly not be time wasted.

The thing is I won't even be delaying med school. As it stands now I will be graduating in the fall and doing nothing next spring but working and waiting for med school to start. By taking off a semester I would just graduate that spring instead.

The thing is I won't even be delaying med school. As it stands now I will be graduating in the fall and doing nothing next spring but working and waiting for med school to start. By taking off a semester I would just graduate that spring instead.
Well then, I think you found the logical answer to your question. Save money, build the rest of your applications (ECs & clinical experience) and come out on top.

Bueno suerte amigo.

Just re-read your original post... Full time nights, 15 credits, MCAT prep, and a wife w/ two kids? You're crazy if you DON'T take this semester off. While you could do it, why would you want to, especially if there's no bearing on an entrance date? In those cases, you make it through, but usually something gives... Wife, kids? Likely first.

You're not in Med school yet; remember they will feel the burn-out too. Don't bring it on too early.

Just re-read your original post... Full time nights, 15 credits, MCAT prep, and a wife w/ two kids? You're crazy if you DON'T take this semester off. While you could do it, why would you want to, especially if there's no bearing on an entrance date? In those cases, you make it through, but usually something gives... Wife, kids? Likely first.

You're not in Med school yet; remember they will feel the burn-out too. Don't bring it on too early.

Yes!

[/QUOTE]

Thank you both for the replies. I am confident that taking the semester off is the best decision. I just wanted to bounce the idea off other people who understand the application process.

@Goro I do have one additional question while I'm at it. I am currently working towards a biochemistry degree, which will require two more semesters, but I am also nearly done with a business administration degree. I can finish the B.A by taking only 4 classes. Would there be a significant difference between finishing the biochemistry degree instead of the B.A.? I have approximately 180 credit hours already, all of my prerequisites are done, and I have a few upper level sciences completed as well. Either degree would be completed after my applications are already submitted so I would be putting the degree completion in the "in progress" portion of the application.

Thank you very much for the help.

Scratch that. I need three courses to complete my B.A and all of them can be done online. I can almost definitely finish them before applying or by summer at the latest. Up until now I was going to finish the biochem degree and then the B.A. I figured the biochem degree would be good to fall back on, but I think I have enough science courses to get into a a grad school without it.

Will having the science degree from a brick and mortar be a significant improvement from a business administration degree from a primarily online but fully accredited and well regarded school. All sciences were done at the brick and mortar school.

Yes. I can't sugar coat this; your MBA is worthless for a med school app.

Will having the science degree from a brick and mortar be a significant improvement from a business administration degree from a primarily online but fully accredited and well regarded school. All sciences were done at the brick and mortar school.[/QUOTE]

Yes. I can't sugar coat this; your MBA is worthless for a med school app.

That's all I needed to hear. I will take this semester off while I study for the MCAT, work, and build my application. I'll apply in June and then finish my Biochemistry degree with the fall and spring semesters.

Thank you again for the advice.