Should I do a MBA with my PharmD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ladyg228

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My COP offers a dual degree program and I can get my MBA at the same time I am completing my PharmD. It will literally be the cheapest masters that I can ever hope to obtain but it means putting in extra work while doing my pharmacy courses. I plan on a residency after graduation and in order to do that I will need to do research and present a poster. I am also hoping to one day obtain a director of pharmacy position later in life but would it be more beneficial to focus on my pharmacy courses, research and poster or should I also go for a MBA? Would it be necessary in the grand scheme of things? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak to how it would look for residency but make sure that's what you really want as an MBA/PharmD combo in hospital staffing or retail will do you no good. There's a reason why the top MBA programs require years of work experience before they will even look at your application.

Reactions: 1 user
It's not free? Not worth it. The people I know with PharmD/MBAs are now pharmacy managers at Walgreens or other similar places. Not worth it unless you have a clear plan where it will be necessary.

Reactions: 3 users