Medical Should I do a post-bacc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBoneDoctah

Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm currently a rising senior with a cGPA of 3.26 (not sure what my sGPA is, didn't calculate it). I have calculated my predicted cGPA and sGPA after graduating using the AAMC calculator (if I were to get all As for the next 3 semesters), and my cGPA was 3.47 and sGPA was 3.28. I'm currently studying part time for the MCAT and plan to take it in early June of 2021. I guess at this point, I'm not sure if I should be considering a post-bacc program or a DIY post-bacc, mainly due to my GPA. I understand that my MCAT score does play a big role in making that decision, however, I would like some guidance as applications for programs I'm interested will open prior to me taking the MCAT. I should also mention that I am considered a URM (black/African-American) and I know that that plays a factor as well. Also, I would like to know if I have enough extracurriculars or if I should be doing more. I'm a president of pre-health club and a secretary at another club. I have interned at a neurology clinic for about two years and I shadowed a neurologist and an opthamologist. I have started volunteering at a free clinic, but had to stop due to COVID (I do plan on going back and continuing for at least another year). I have applied to help out in research, but haven't heard back. I have also applied to volunteer for a remote tutoring company and The Doe Network. Lastly, I do plan on volunteering at a local hospital. I would appreciate any advice on whether I should be considering a post-bacc program or if I should apply without. Also, whether I should be getting involved in more extracurricular activities. I'm interested in MD schools only but open to DO if I have exhausted all options.
You have applied and plan for a lot of volunteering and research but haven't DONE any of it yet. Yes, you need to get more ECs. If you actually get these things done, then yes, that would look good.

Whether or not you care about MD or DO will dictate whether you need to do the post-bac (pending a decent MCAT score).

Here are the scenarios I see (pending you getting your EC hours up).

1. You score below 507-508 on your MCAT and don't do post-bac > apply to DO (if URM, apply to your state schools and HBC).
2. You score >510-513 on MCAT and do post-bac for a year and do well (3.7+) > apply MD and you should do well

These are the two extremes.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't chance you without an MCAT score. That being said, with a 3.3 (I'm assuming similar performance at this point for the sake of argument), you're not a great candidate for MD schools. You should not be applying next year unless you are only interested in DO. If you want to get into an MD school, I would suggest that 1. You need to be exceptional next year 2. You need a great score on your MCAT and 3. you might still want to consider an extra year of postbacc to polish your GPA and show a better academic performance. If you do get all A's next year and you do a year of post-bacc, I think you'd be in a good place for MD. I would strongly consider applying DO at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.