Should I do a poster presentation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Meropenam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
done

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, it is a great opportunity! There is a category on the AMCAS primary application for presentations. I did a poster presentation and a couple of oral research presentations at different conferences. I talked about how I enjoyed sharing my research with others and how my presentation ability improved. My first interview they asked me about my research presentations and if I would continue with research. Did you apply this cycle? If you did you could always send an update on this experience to schools. :)

Is a poster presentation for a lab significant? Does it make my application decorated? Where would I even put it on my application for med school? What aspects can I talk about it in my application?
Doing a poster presentation is evidence of research productivity. How significant it is to your application depends on the venue of the presentation. If it takes place at a regional, national, or international conference, that reflects well, as there is a peer review process of sorts after you submit an application to have your poster considered. If the conference is a Campus Research Symposium for undergrads at your college, there may be little to no peer review. In fact, some are required to show up with a poster if they are getting school credit for the research in which they are engaged. Sharing one's work is always a good experience, though.

As one generally also has a Research entry describing the project that led to the poster, a lot of description isn't needed in a Posters/Presentation space beyond a citation with the poster title, authors, conference name and location, and date, along with any awards won, if pertinent.