Should I do AAMC FL 4 ~1 week out from MCAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Higgzy26

Reaction score
I write my exam Sept 28th. I have done AAMC FL1-3, with my scores improving on each test and reaching my goal score [...I'm realistically just hoping for ~510]. I am about a week out, and I am wondering if people would recommend doing AAMC FL 4 this weekend or just skipping it and focusing on other practice/studying?

My main concern is that I would not do as well as I want and my confidence will take a huge hit, stressing me out and making me doubt myself close to test day.

Thanks for your advice, in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

There's an argument to be made in either direction. The data point would be nice, but if you are seemingly sitting on the edge of a nervous breakdown it's just not worth it.

You'll get more bang for your buck by spending the time optimizing your mental health, drilling weaknesses, and getting 8-9 hours of sleep a night.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
I write my exam Sept 28th. I have done AAMC FL1-3, with my scores improving on each test and reaching my goal score [...I'm realistically just hoping for ~510]. I am about a week out, and I am wondering if people would recommend doing AAMC FL 4 this weekend or just skipping it and focusing on other practice/studying?

My main concern is that I would not do as well as I want and my confidence will take a huge hit, stressing me out and making me doubt myself close to test day.

Thanks for your advice, in advance!
It's practice, and you'll learn more from taking it and going over all the questions and answers, both right and wrong, than from doing any other single thing, so why wouldn't you???? It is the single most valuable practice/studying you can do. Period. Anyone who knows what they are doing saves it like the precious resource it is so that we can make use of the single most valuable tool at the most important time in our preparation, and get a final indication of how we are likely to perform as close to the real thing as possible. For you, that time is now. Go for it!!!

I am really not sure what you mean by stressing you out and making you doubt yourself, but, if it indicates you are not ready, you will always be better off knowing that than taking the real thing without that knowledge. If you are not ready, burying your head and going forward anyway is NOT going to cause you to perform better. On the other hand, if you do well, maybe you will go in with a little extra confidence, which certainly won't hurt you!! :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it yesterday and found it to be much easier than previous 3 FLs. I'm also testing on Sept 27th.

I would take it if I was you. Focus on it being a learning opportunity rather than a hit to your confidence. Everything you get wrong in simulation is a chance to learn and not make the same mistake on the real test

Reactions: 1 users