Should I do both AOA and ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanAmPremed

CAD > USD - It's true :D
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm interested in Family Medicine. I've already got my ERAS started. I'm only applying to dually accredited programs (as I will be going to practice in canada after residency and ACGME accreditation required).

Since the only programs I'm applying to are either MD only programs or dually accredited ones. Do I still need to do an AOA application or will ERAS suffice?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I'm interested in Family Medicine. I've already got my ERAS started. I'm only applying to dually accredited programs (as I will be going to practice in canada after residency and ACGME accreditation required).

Since the only programs I'm applying to are either MD only programs or dually accredited ones. Do I still need to do an AOA application or will ERAS suffice?

I would just apply through the AOA app for several reasons:

1) you will only be competing against other do's because it will be for designated AOA match spots

2) match is a month earlier giving you time to apply to other ones in the ERAS if heaven forbid you don't match through the AOA

3) I believe it will only count as dual accredited if you do so through the AOA match, otherwise it will just be accredited just like any other allopathic residency program. It really doesn't matter in your case because all Canada will care about if its accredited by the ACGME which any program with MD's in it would be. If it were AOA only I would be nervous that it wouldn't be acknowledged by the Canadian healthcare system. H/e since all the ones you are applying to are dual your golden.

Once again I would just apply through the AOA system, if you only apply and list programs that are dual, your should be good!

I may be confused, but I only recall filling out ERAS when applying for residency programs last year. From there, you designate which programs to apply to. I don't recall a separate AOA application? Just the two different match services.

As for dual/non-dual, something I learned as a DO going through the match last year...you DO NOT have to match through the AOA match to be considered "dually accredited" if you are going to a program that has dual certification.

ie. if you apply to a Dual program, and go through the ACGME match, odds are you are good to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
we tell our DO applicants that they should apply to their top 1 or 2 programs in the DO match and then do a full rank list in the MD match. that way you have 2 chances to get your top 1 or 2 ranked programs and still the full MD match list as a backup.

we tell our DO applicants that they should apply to their top 1 or 2 programs in the DO match and then do a full rank list in the MD match. that way you have 2 chances to get your top 1 or 2 ranked programs and still the full MD match list as a backup.

It will be my goal as a physician to get things changed to where if a program is dual accredited, they only participate in one match.

Then, if a person is only applying to dual accredited programs, they only have to register for and participate in one match and not play the game of the AOA vs. ACGME.

You could still rank the AOA "program" higher on your list if that is what you wish for...but on the same list, you could rank the ACGME program as well.

For all the talk about "professionalism and ethics" associated with the match, it's one of the most unprofessional and unethical processes with which I've ever been associated.