Should I do SMP or try applying to med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_last_banana

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going into my senior year and I know I'm not a competitive applicant for medical school. I'm a non-science major (getting a chem minor) with an okay GPA ( ~3.5 sGPA, 3.65 cumulative, although I can raise it above a 3.7 if I do well in the rest of my courses). I barely have any extracurriculars, limited shadowing, and currently no research. This year I'm going to volunteer at a hospital, tutor & help in a couple high school science classrooms, work a part time job as a pharmacy tech or personal trainer, and try to get into a research lab. I plan to take the MCAT early next year.

Should I even bother applying to medical schools in the upcoming cycle or try to get into a SMP next fall? Or would it be better to focus on EC's/research/volunteering/shadowing this school year, study for the MCAT next summer while trying to beefen up my application, and apply to medical schools the next cycle?

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the best course of action, and so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You cGPA and sGPA are fine, don't stress about those. If I were you I would take a year after you graduate and try to shadow and volunteer (both clinical and non-clinical). No need to improve your GPA stuff, just focus on what you can do to prove you love medicine. That also includes studying your ass off for the MCAT! Cause that will be a huge boost. Good luck!

I'm going into my senior year and I know I'm not a competitive applicant for medical school. I'm a non-science major (getting a chem minor) with an okay GPA ( ~3.5 sGPA, 3.65 cumulative, although I can raise it above a 3.7 if I do well in the rest of my courses). I barely have any extracurriculars, limited shadowing, and currently no research. This year I'm going to volunteer at a hospital, tutor & help in a couple high school science classrooms, work a part time job as a pharmacy tech or personal trainer, and try to get into a research lab. I plan to take the MCAT early next year.

Should I even bother applying to medical schools in the upcoming cycle or try to get into a SMP next fall? Or would it be better to focus on EC's/research/volunteering/shadowing this school year, study for the MCAT next summer while trying to beefen up my application, and apply to medical schools the next cycle?

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the best course of action, and so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Agree with @Goro above, your GPA is about the only thing that doesn't need addressing. Research is overrated, so focus your attention on (1) MCAT, (2) volunteering, and (3) clinical exposure.

Reactions: 1 user