Should I do this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justiii

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My step dad is a doctor in Mexico(currently studying for USMLE). He has a lot of friends in Mexico who are doctors and surgeons. He said that I can go there this year and watch and assist in some surgeries if I wanted to. I'm starting college this fall and plan on going to medical school in the future. Should I go? I think it would be awesome and fun. I have hung out in the ER there with my step dad when I was younger before we moved and I liked it. But this is like surgery. O.O I'm not the freaked out or immature so I am not going to like pass out or be weird. But what should I do? I want to go but since I don't have a lot of knowledge in medicine I'm not sure. Would watching and helping out in surgery be considered shadowing a doctor? If I go, what should I give to him as a gift for giving me this opportunity? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I Would watching and helping out in surgery be considered shadowing a doctor? If I go, what should I give to him as a gift for giving me this opportunity? Thanks in advance!

^ Oh dear don't do that. ^

Overall it sounds like it could be an excellent experience. You can be sure that you are not being fooled by some for-profit company. Moreover, it will surely provide you with an international understanding of medicine and healthcare.

Reactions: 1 users
^ Oh dear don't do that. ^

Overall it sounds like it could be an excellent experience. You can be sure that you are not being fooled by some for-profit company. Moreover, it will surely provide you with an international understanding of medicine and healthcare.
I know. It is such a wonderful experience that I would have the opportunity to do. But I agree. I really shouldn't do anything but observe!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would watching and helping out in surgery be considered shadowing a doctor?

Watching a doctor is the definition of shadowing, so yes. Helping out in surgery? No, that's considered unethical.

My step dad is a doctor in Mexico(currently studying for USMLE). He has a lot of friends in Mexico who are doctors and surgeons. He said that I can go there this year and watch and assist in some surgeries if I wanted to. I'm starting college this fall and plan on going to medical school in the future. Should I go? I think it would be awesome and fun. I have hung out in the ER there with my step dad when I was younger before we moved and I liked it. But this is like surgery. O.O I'm not the freaked out or immature so I am not going to like pass out or be weird. But what should I do? I want to go but since I don't have a lot of knowledge in medicine I'm not sure. Would watching and helping out in surgery be considered shadowing a doctor? If I go, what should I give to him as a gift for giving me this opportunity? Thanks in advance!

For the record, many people feel uncomfortable/pass out their first time in an OR. Not a sign of being "freaked out or immature." You're seeing inside a live body for the first time, it isn't supposed to be just another day.
Most likely you will be asked to stand back and please don't touch anything and to be sure to tell a nurse/doctor if you DO touch anything. Don't feel weird telling anyone if you accidentally touch a sterile table; it happens and you don't want to be responsible for surgery complications.
This would fall under the shadowing category.

Reactions: 1 user