Should I drop or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

briansle

Cell A
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently enrolled in Genetics and for the past two midterms I've gotten C's. Since only the final remains, it looks like I'll be getting a C.

Currently I'm a junior, my gpa is a 3.38 and I plan to apply next spring for the 2006 cycle. I've never gotten a C before, this would be my first one, and I think it would seriously drop my GPA a point or two.
In addition, I'm only taking 3 classes this semester, so dropping this course would really look bad.

This is a mandatory course for my major, so if I were to drop it, I would have to repeat it anyways during my senior year.

Should I just take the C? or should I drop it to protect my crappy GPA at all costs?

Members don't see this ad.

briansle said:
I'm currently enrolled in Genetics and for the past two midterms I've gotten C's. Since only the final remains, it looks like I'll be getting a C.

Currently I'm a junior, my gpa is a 3.38 and I plan to apply next spring for the 2006 cycle. I've never gotten a C before, this would be my first one, and I think it would seriously drop my GPA a point or two.
In addition, I'm only taking 3 classes this semester, so dropping this course would really look bad.

This is a mandatory course for my major, so if I were to drop it, I would have to repeat it anyways during my senior year.

Should I just take the C? or should I drop it to protect my crappy GPA at all costs?

Take the C.

I agree. Take the C. One C isn't going to wreck your GPA with that many courses under your belt. I don't think hope is lost to avoid getting a C. You still have one exam and a final which collectively weighs more than the 2 exams you took.

Members don't see this ad :)
add me to the list. take the C....unless u can bust ur ass for the final and bump to a B...even better...but a C never hurt nobody...if it did...i wouldnt be here...

yeah, you are far enough into the class that dropping it and retaking it later would be a lot of wasted effort. just stick it out. besides, when i took genetics last year i thought i was going to get a 3.0 for sure in it and guess what at the end of the class he curved it b/c everyone did so bad and i got a 4.0. you never know.

since when was a 3.4 gpa a "crappy" GPA?

briansle said:

Genetics I've heard is a rough class. I'm sure a C in it isn't that shameful.

Neon Black said:
Genetics I've heard is a rough class. I'm sure a C in it isn't that shameful.

I keep hearing that Genetics is rough at my school. The average for the first test in this course was in the 50s :eek: Rough but interesting according to one of the people taking this class.

You are not going to be able to drop classes in dental school, so get just suck it up and work your tail off!

Thanks for the advice guys
Oh, I forgot to mention that the final isn't worth more than a midterm. They're all worth 100 points each. So it looks like no matter how well i do, I'll be stuck with a C. :(

I'm definitely dropping it, I can't afford a C.

I'm such a ******, I just lost motivation this semester for some reason. In my first two years I was constantly worrying about getting into dental school. I was this high strung loser, who just studied all the time. Funny thing is, now that I've taken care of the prereqs and the DAT, I just don't care anymore. If I get in great, if I don't, great.

Drop it.

And...switch your major. You don't need genetics that much in dentistry at all.

Take more next terms.

the big wand said:
Drop it.

And...switch your major. You don't need genetics that much in dentistry at all.

Take more next terms.

Strange...
What you just said right now, is exactly what my parents have been telling me to do since last year.

If I had any balls, I would just drop bio and major in history. Unfortunately I'm a junior, and although I could pack in 10 courses from here till graduation. Hard to say whether I could finish the major in 3 semesters.

And what do you mean by, "take more next terms?"

Take more courses in next 3 semesters....who knows....maybe you'll get into dentistry before graduation.......

Why do you want to drop bio? You can use that as an elective, I guess....

yeah, i've noticed that biology makes you take alot of pointless crap if your ultimate goal is dental school. why not just major in the humanities or something that you really enjoy. just take the biology classes that will serioulsy help you. you'll enjoy college more and probably get better grades. also, time shouldn't be an issue if dentistry is what you really want to do. take an extra year if you want, major in history, enjoy life. :)

In my class of 2008, out the 39 of us about half were biochemistry/bio majors and half were economics/psych/computer science/multi-disciplinary studies majors. Actually, dentistry is a second career for a handful of my classmates, the first career varying from information technology to independent business to pharmacology to grocery store manager. Obviously what they majored in is a distant issue.

You just need the prereqs, a good DAT and GPA. It's not a big deal to admissions what you chose to major in outside of those required items. It's best to be good at/passionate about what you do major in and be motivated about dentistry. It's entirely possible to have a passion for, say, ancient korean musicology, and also to be passionate about wanting to join the dental profession. I see the living proof in my classmates every day.

If you do major in a non-science, doing well in non-required science electives boosts your application because it boosts your science GPA on the AADSAS (besides showing aptitude/motivation/confidence in science subjects).

briansle said:
Strange...
What you just said right now, is exactly what my parents have been telling me to do since last year.

If I had any balls, I would just drop bio and major in history. Unfortunately I'm a junior, and although I could pack in 10 courses from here till graduation. Hard to say whether I could finish the major in 3 semesters.

And what do you mean by, "take more next terms?"

how can you drop the class this late in the semester? In my undergrad there was no way to do it this late without withdrawing from the university as a whole.

yeah, at my university as of this late you can still drop classes but with no refund and they will report the class as "dropped" on your transcript (it won't just disappear as if you didn't take it)