Should I drop or suck it up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Molarcule

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently taking advanced nutrition for my minor. I currently have a 3.4 GPA. I've had to drop two other classes in 2010 one due to illness and the other because I was going to fail. This nutrition class, for me, is ridiculously hard and I feel that I am going to fail the class if I don't drop. What should I do? Suck it up because I got two other drops in my career or stick to it and see what happens in the end and possibly receive a C, D or even worse an F.

Members don't see this ad.

Drop --> take that W --> be able to explain to adcoms why you drop it.

If you're positive you'll end up with a bad grade, then drop it and take a W. I have 6 Ws on my transcript (which is the maximum at my school).... all of them scattered throughout :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do adcoms ever ask why you've had to withdraw a course? I know they're notorious in asking about that C in your science course(s).

If you're positive you'll end up with a bad grade, then drop it and take a W. I have 6 Ws on my transcript (which is the maximum at my school).... all of them scattered throughout :)

lol I am right here with you NguyenDSS. 4 Ws here. No adcom has asked me anything about them yet... I have a bigger issue. Big enough to cover all of my Ws :D

Last edited:
Hehe same, no one ever asked me about it yet... but that's because MWU was closed file and LECOM was a group-interaction interview. I'll let you know if ASDOH asks me when time comes, though :)

I wonder what could possibly be more detrimental than a W?

A BCP < 3.0 without +/- .....I fall into this category :)

I'm currently taking advanced nutrition for my minor. I currently have a 3.4 GPA. I've had to drop two other classes in 2010 one due to illness and the other because I was going to fail. This nutrition class, for me, is ridiculously hard and I feel that I am going to fail the class if I don't drop. What should I do? Suck it up because I got two other drops in my career or stick to it and see what happens in the end and possibly receive a C, D or even worse an F.

Drop it if you think/believe a B- isn't achievable....
It doesn't matter how bad the W looks... I'd take a W over any C or D anytime.... its simple as that

So now the question is... how do you explain to ADCOMS if asked?

I don't mean to hi-jack but it's essentially the same question. What if there is no "good" reason but just that the course is difficult?
Or, if the professor really is just :scared:

For example, I just got my add-drop slip for a class. This professor is notorious for having about a 50% drop rate, in his upper level biology classes and his GenBio classes. I feel like I know my material, but he literally gives a 2 hour exam in 1 hour time (last year he actually gave students the full 2 hours, but not this semester)
I'm dropping the class. W > F,D, even C. The question now is, if asked, what do I say?

I can't say, "It was the Prof!"

Drop. I have a W on my transcript.

So now the question is... how do you explain to ADCOMS if asked?

I don't mean to hi-jack but it's essentially the same question. What if there is no "good" reason but just that the course is difficult?
Or, if the professor really is just :scared:

For example, I just got my add-drop slip for a class. This professor is notorious for having about a 50% drop rate, in his upper level biology classes and his GenBio classes. I feel like I know my material, but he literally gives a 2 hour exam in 1 hour time (last year he actually gave students the full 2 hours, but not this semester)
I'm dropping the class. W > F,D, even C. The question now is, if asked, what do I say?

I can't say, "It was the Prof!"

Pshhhh I don't think W's are THAT big of a deal. Unless you have an excessive amount of them.

I actually have a W...... :-( But long story short, I got it while I was in highschool and didn't know I was even registered in a college course lolol.

I would take the W. Wouldn't want to risk lowering your GPA. Just try not to get any more W's in the future.

Doubt in an interview they will ask you why you have 1-2 W's. Maybe if you have like 8. I remember reading someones post who had 4 W's and was never asked about them.

Pshhhh I don't think W's are THAT big of a deal. Unless you have an excessive amount of them.

I actually have a W...... :-( But long story short, I got it while I was in highschool and didn't know I was even registered in a college course lolol.

I would take the W. Wouldn't want to risk lowering your GPA. Just try not to get any more W's in the future.

Doubt in an interview they will ask you why you have 1-2 W's. Maybe if you have like 8. I remember reading someones post who had 4 W's and was never asked about them.

Wow, that sucks! Having a mark on your transcript while still in high school. I'd be pretty :mad: but I hope it all works out for you!

Yeah, I guess there isn't really an option. Unless the professor gives a 30 point curve, which I know he won't, we're looking at a D or C at the very best. W it is!

It's my first one (my fall semester of my 4th year) so it's not THAT bad. I'm just concerned if I don't get in this cycle :scared: or if I submit my fall grades, they will see "this guy just started to slack and dropped his classes."

Thanks for your opinions everyone!