Should I mention mental illness in my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nujabes1

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My first semester of college was pretty terrible and I got bad grades. I didn't fail any classes, but I finished my freshman year with a 2.9 GPA. This was due to my severe anxiety and depression, which only got worse when I started college. I was diagnosed the summer before my sophomore year and was able to take medication. I'm doing a lot better now, and my grades reflect that. I was thinking of mentioning it as the reason my grades were so bad, but after looking it up, I see that a lot of people actually encourage you not to do that. I understand that there is a lot of stigma surrounding mental health, especially with older generations, but I really don't know any other way to explain my bad grades. I wasn't thinking of trauma dumping, but just explaining what kind of held me back and how I got better. Should I do it? Has anyone else mentioned it, and how did it go?