Should I drop these classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndieMed

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just recently I decided to go from pre-PA to pre-pharmacy. The thing is, the classes I chose to take this semester, Genetics and Cell Biology were to get into PA school but NOW I don't even need them. They would have satisfied requirements for my Neuroscience degree but I no longer plan on getting my Bachelors before applying for Pharmacy school. I will have 2 W's (Withdrawals) on my transcript for this semester. Last semester I got a D+ in the Neuroscience class and a W in my Computer Science 101 class. But 2 A-'s and 1 A (last semester). Will Pharmacy schools take notice and count this semester against me? I would be happy to explain my situation to anyone on the admissions committee should I get accepted for an interview. In total if I drop these 2 classes I will have 4 W's on my transcript.

Members don't see this ad.

Just recently I decided to go from pre-PA to pre-pharmacy. The thing is, the classes I chose to take this semester, Genetics and Cell Biology were to get into PA school but NOW I don't even need them. They would have satisfied requirements for my Neuroscience degree but I no longer plan on getting my Bachelors before applying for Pharmacy school. I will have 2 W's (Withdrawals) on my transcript for this semester. Last semester I got a D+ in the Neuroscience class and a W in my Computer Science 101 class. But 2 A-'s and 1 A (last semester). Will Pharmacy schools take notice and count this semester against me? I would be happy to explain my situation to anyone on the admissions committee should I get accepted for an interview. In total if I drop these 2 classes I will have 4 W's on my transcript.
If you're worried about the W's, I wouldn't worry too much. I have my fair share of W's and still got accepted to a top school and many average ranked schools. They don't ask about your application (I interviewed 4 schools) to explain yourself. But if you don't have a competitive GPA I would advise to still take it to show you can handle upper class science courses, and hey you already paid for it. I took genetics and biochemistry to get my bachelors. Just depends on where you're trying to apply and what are your stats are now.

I feel like it's worth getting your degree, if you're almost done. You never know, pharmacy may not work out or something can happen & you at least have a degree to fall back on. If you're gonna fail them though, I would just drop them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those are good classes to take. Some pharmacy schoola require them and even if most don't, they'll still look favorable on your transcript (provided you get good grades). Otherwise, drop.

Sent from my SM-G935P using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
IMO, while cGPA and scGPA are very critical, you can impress a committee with grade trending (e.g. if you have a valley in your transcript during sophomore year, but end on a progressive high note consistently with other core science heavy semesters, this may be viewed as a renewed commitment to your education)..

I had 1 W in biochemistry but I retook and got A. I was still worried about. And in one of my interviews I had to explain why I got W. I am not sure if they will ask you about 2 W bc it's not science, but be ready to explain why you got W in science. On the other hand, these are great classes to have. In some school cell biology or molecular biology could substitute for biochemistry