Should I email a specific lab PI to be in their lab for summer programs?

Started by doxlol
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

doxlol

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For summer research programs, most provide a list of participating faculty. Is it beneficial to email the faculty i am interested in working with, in addition to the my completion and submission of the general application for the program? If so, what is the best way to catch their attention and depict how interested I am? If not, are there other things I can do to increase my chances of getting paired with a specific faculty member?
 
Hi Dr Smith,

my name is Cyril and I’m a 3rd year at SDN-U. I’ve submitted my application for the summer research program, but I wanted to contact you personally and express my interest in being a part of your lab.
Regards,
Cyril