Should I even apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SJspartandoctor

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I had a rough start a
In my lower division classes and got C's in most of them due to personal matters,but over the last 3 years I have gotten B's and A's in all of my upper division classes. I have 400+ hours of clinical volunteering. My uGPA is 2.97. I'm taking my mcat in at end of May and aiming for high 30's. What are my chances or should I just not apply?

Members don't see this ad.

So I had a rough start a
In my lower division classes and got C's in most of them due to personal matters,but over the last 3 years I have gotten B's and A's in all of my upper division classes. I have 400+ hours of clinical volunteering. My uGPA is 2.97. I'm taking my mcat in at end of May and aiming for high 30's. What are my chances or should I just not apply?
Is that your calculated AMCAS gpa? If so, do not apply. Your first application should ideally be the only one.

Reactions: 1 user
You need some serious GPA repair before even thinking of the MCAT. Why do you think you would do well in medical school, which is way harder than any UG program?

So I had a rough start a

Members don't see this ad :)
So I had a rough start a

Have you taken practice tests that make you think you can get high 30s? Usually with a GPA that low a person has a weak base before even studying for the MCAT and would be lucky to get into the 30s, let alone high 30s. Not saying it's not possible, just typically thats how it is. Either way you need to bring your GPA up to at least 3.2-3.3 if you want to have a shot at some DO schools.