Should I even apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ollie619

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
here is my list of info!
GPA: 3.76
MCAT: 497
Research: 2 years (stroke injury rehabilitation) and 1 year public health related. I spent at least over 900 hours total committed to research. Jobs: medical assistant (current), college mentor (1 year), course assistant (2 years).
Letters of rec: one from dean/ochem professor, one from research educator, one from non-science professor and lastly other research educator. I also have my biology professor writing me one just in case the others didn't (but they all submitted into interfolio). Volunteering: 298 logged hours of volunteering at local hospital, 54 logged hours of internal medicine clinic, 50 hours of community service for the homeless, 40 hours oversea in Nicaragua, and finally around 100 hours volunteering for my church.

Extracurriculars: volunteering coordinator for my community outreach organization (3 years), Christian student group (4 years), global medical training group (2 years). Certifications: CNA and CPhT

I have finished my personal statement and the other two essays (had them edited).

I know my MCAT score is weak and I actually did take it again, but voided the score cause I did not felt good about it. I had the same issue with my SAT, but my high school ranking got me into a good Texas school. Should I take another year off to study for my MCAT or just go ahead and apply? I also felt that I didn't really join any premed organizations such as AMSA and really regret it (I'm graduating now).

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying DO? A 497 is pretty low for any MD school. Where do you plan to apply? I'm assuming you are from Texas and I know nothing about their process. Hopefully some one will come along and help you out. Don't worry about not joining a premed organization. What is the Global Medical training group? Your Nicaragua experience won't count for much. Do you have any shadowing? Are you UIM by any chance?
If this test taking issue has been an issue since your high school days you need to figure out why and fix it. The MCAT is the first in a long series of tests required in Medicine. Perhaps a visit to your school learning center can help you figure it out. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Are you applying DO? A 497 is pretty low for any MD school. Where do you plan to apply? I'm assuming you are from Texas and I know nothing about their process. Hopefully some one will come along and help you out. Don't worry about not joining a premed organization. What is the Global Medical training group? Your Nicaragua experience won't count for much. Do you have any shadowing? Are you UIM by any chance?
If this test taking issue has been an issue since your high school days you need to figure out why and fix it. The MCAT is the first in a long series of tests required in Medicine. Perhaps a visit to your school learning center can help you figure it out. Good luck.

I was thinking of applying to all Texas MD programs. I have shadowed at my internal medicine clinic and local ER clinic. I spend most of my time scribing and working as a medical assistant for the ENT I work at now. I don't believe I am a UIM. The global medical training is just an organization in my school that volunteers outside of the US! Never thought about visiting my schools learning center so I will definitely do that! It's really weird, I do super well in all of my classes, but when it comes to standardized tests, I don't do as well.

Members don't see this ad :)

Oh I see what you meant as UIM, I don't think I am since it wasn't on the list (I am Vietnamese).

What were your practice scores before you took the MCAT? What were the scores for your subsections? Your chances are low for the Texas MD schools but you have a chance for interviews at some of the newer DO schools. You may need a DO LOR for some schools.

What were your practice scores before you took the MCAT? What were the scores for your subsections? Your chances are low for the Texas MD schools but you have a chance for interviews at some of the newer DO schools. You may need a DO LOR for some schools.
If I improved my MCAT score... is the rest of my extracurriculars even competitive for MD schools? I don't think I will be applying to the DO schools!

If I improved my MCAT score... is the rest of my extracurriculars even competitive for MD schools? I don't think I will be applying to the DO schools!
It is not easy to improve your MCAT score. There has been much data collected on retakes. Someone with a MCAT of 497 has a 1/3 chance of scoring the same or worse. There is a 20% chance of scoring 505 or higher. Almost all Texas schools have a 10% percentile of 505 or higher. Your GPA and EC's are fine for MD schools but your MCAT of 497 is not. The GPA-MCAT grid shows your chances for a MD acceptance are less than 20% and that number includes applicants with a PhD, Veteran status, Legacies, etc. . If you are unwilling to consider DO schools then you should delay your application until next year and study hard for a MCAT of at least 505 and preferably over 508.

Reactions: 1 user
Get to the learning resource center and figure out your test taking issues BEFORE you attempt the MCAT again. What is your sGPA? Don't apply this coming cycle. You don't want to be a reapplicant. Why won't you even consider DO?

Beggers can't be choosy. You'd be autorejected at my school (and tons of other DO schools as well...even LUCOM has standards) with that MCAT score .

It appears you have problems with standardized testing, especially high stakes ones. We're addicted to these in med school.