Should I even bother applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nm18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a U.S. citizen and a sophomore in college, and lately I've been looking into Canadian med schools. From what I've read, it looks like very few schools accept international students and even they accept only a couple. Should I even bother trying to get in? If so, what can I do to boost my chances? If not, can I get matched into a residency program in Canada after attending med school in the States? Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you have a 4.0 and a really high MCAT, and stellar ECS, then not much point.

Besides, if you have that kind of profile your better off applying top 20 MD in the US and get financial incentives such as scholarships from them. International fees for the few spots in Canada are also much more expensive than even private USMDs. And no scholarships.

You can apply to Canadian residencies only if you are a Canadian citizen or PR- so unless you have either(which you haven't indicated), that won't be an option.

You cannot get PR by coming to med school in Canada anyways, so you would end up going back to the US.

Reactions: 1 user
Can I at least get in after residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes it is possible, as an immigrant physician you will probably have to commit to working in an underserved area for a few years before you're put onto the PR track.

That's way too far away to make any real statements. Immigration changes all the time as do practice rights and pathways.

Honestly I wouldn't bother. Just be happy you can apply in the US as a US citizen!

Reactions: 1 user
Go to a US medical school. Find the cheapest one possible. Go to a US family Medicine residency. After graduating and getting board certified get a Canadian license and go become a Canadian physician.

Be ***very*** aware of the differences in length between Canadian and US residencies. Family Medicine is the same, many are not.

Go out of your way to pick one that is the same.