Should I even bother? Please Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neha4000

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to this SDN forum, but this seems like a great resource! I am sure you have numerous people posting questions about the chances of getting in, but I am really just looking for an honest opinion, please post your inputs! I don't know what to do!

I am graduting in May, majoring in Chemical Engineering, overall GPA of 3.65, science 3.6, taking the august mcat. I am currently attending a state school. I got A's on all my pre-req with the exception of O-Chem and Biochem in which I received B's. Lots of volunteer experience, clinical experience, clinical research (w/publication), 2 yrs of bench research, and a summer REU, and I will be working at the NIH next year.

Now the bad part....I actually received an F on one of my Chemical Engineering classes last spring. I honestly don't think I deserved that grade, I spent the most time I have ever did, and received an F, and I can't blame it on anyone but the professor, he was simply a jerk, and the material was just really hard. Aside from this F, I have mostly A's and a few B's in my other engineering classes.

I am retaking the class now...and I will probably get a B or C even.... What will the Adcom's think when they see mostly A's a few B's and a poor performance in this course? Has anyone been in this situation before?

Neha

Members don't see this ad.

One F will not keep you out of medical school, especially if you retake the class and do better. You would probably be asked about it at interviews, though.

Good luck.

Honestly, I think you'll be fine. It's my impression that adcoms sort of regard engineering as a different beast, and that a poor performance in one chem e class won't kill you. Unfortunately, it will lower your science GPA, but if you get a decent score on the MCAT, you should definitely apply. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just make sure never to blame the prof when you're explaining the first grade. Blaming other people will only serve to make you look bad to adcoms.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Concentrate on the MCAT and make sure to apply to a good range of schools when you do apply. Good luck. :)

It will lower the science GPA? Are all chemical engineering classes factored into the science GPA? I figured its not strictly, Bio, Chem, Math, Physics, so it won't be factored into the science GPA.

Does anyone know which Chem E classes are factored into the science GPA?

one F?

if you retake it and raise it up to an A or a B, then you will be fine.

Honestly, there are people on this board with multiple Ws and others with more than one C, D, F that have gotten in.

I mean even statistically speaking that F would be somewhat of an outlier. If your overall performance says that you are a solid A, B student and you have this one odd F lying around...sure they might ask about it, but it definitely wont keep you out of being competitive for an acceptance into a medical school.

One F may keep you out of Harvard, but not out of med schools in general. I am also not sure whether Chem Eng counts towards Science GPA.
Also explore some options. Do you know whether that F will still be on the transcript even after retaking the course? Have you tried talking to the professor about doing some extra project to avoid the F?
I once had a 'C' in one of my engineering classes. I barely slept that quarter because of the class, but still got it. I talked to the prof, and she agreed to change it to be if I do a summer project. Now it appears as 'B' on my transacript.
Good luck.

you have to fill out both grades on the AMCAS...both the failing grade and the retake grade even if on the transcript it will most likely show only the retake grade...

Yeah, don't bother....

....making a post like this again. Of course you'll get in, you have a great resume and that's what really gets people's attention (assuming you get at least a 29 MCAT).

hello. i understand your concern, but you'll be fine. obviously, the better you do this second time around, the better it'll be for your apps. just do your best. it's probable that you will be asked about that one grade at interviews. however, the general trend is more significant than the exception. focus on doing well on your mcats, and then i'd think you'd be a strong applicant. good go on the nih! peace--

dude. i should read through the thread b4 i post. just noticed that everything i wrote was already posted. sorry.

anyway, best of luck, neha.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your responses! I appreciate it. :)

Originally posted by Eraserhead
Yeah, don't bother....

....making a post like this again. Of course you'll get in, you have a great resume and that's what really gets people's attention (assuming you get at least a 29 MCAT).

well maybe around a 50% chance. cant say anyone will just get in...just that they will be competitive with the resume they have.

Originally posted by GTea
One F will not keep you out of medical school, especially if you retake the class and do better. You would probably be asked about it at interviews, though.

Good luck.

This is true, but an F hurts a lot more than a D. It is good you are retaking this class.

CCW

Your engineering courses will not be factored into your BCPM grads, they are listed as ENGI (engineering) and included in the "All Others" for each academic year.

Good luck with everything. It will be a little harder being from a state school (I was actually asked at an interview why I chose the state school I attend...and I was the ONLY non-private school kid in the interview group that day), but you'll still be fine. Just be prepared to "defend" your life choices!

And (out of curiosity), which class was it? I got Cs from our department head in Mat'l & Energy Balances and Transport 1 (we lost 3/4 of the class between those two classes!).

Keep in mind that your grades, as a whole, are very contradicting to your F. I think that most admissions people are going to think "I wonder what happened in that class?" rather than "what a loser, he got an F." However you should come up with a very good excuse to pop off when asked at an interview. Simply blaming the prof won't cut it. Was the grading system not fair, or were assignments unclear, did the drop date pass without adequate knowledge of where you stood in the class? Retaking the class and another similar to it are your best bet. Then you can say, "can I do it? yes, i can." Good luck and I hope you clear up that blemish.

Originally posted by ChE_Babe
Your engineering courses will not be factored into your BCPM grads, they are listed as ENGI (engineering) and included in the "All Others" for each academic year.

Good luck with everything. It will be a little harder being from a state school (I was actually asked at an interview why I chose the state school I attend...and I was the ONLY non-private school kid in the interview group that day), but you'll still be fine. Just be prepared to "defend" your life choices!

And (out of curiosity), which class was it? I got Cs from our department head in Mat'l & Energy Balances and Transport 1 (we lost 3/4 of the class between those two classes!).

Che_Babe,

I PMed you