should I even bother taking the PCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joub1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I graduated this May with a bachelors in Biology. I had always had an interest into going into pharmacy but my family pushed me into another direction.

-I have a 3.65 overall/3.80 science GPA (overall is low due to my first year at my previous school and I had back to back 4.0's my senior year)
-2 publications (one in tox, one in eco)
-Presented my research at multiple conferences all over the country (OR,MD,MA)
-Worked for a year in a Toxicology Lab
-Spent 2 years as the Academic Resource Centers Bio Tutor
-President of Biology Club for the last year
-Got the Academic Achievement Award in Bio (highest GPA in major for graduating class)

My extracurriculars are solid but I lack any legitimate pharmacy experience. I am hoping my academics make up for it.

I really want to go to MCPHS Worcester, which luckily does not require a PCAT.

Do you guys think I have a decent shot at being accepted and could forgo not having to take the PCAT?

I also have fairly high MCAT/GRE scores...do you think they can benefit me in anyway?

Any info or insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

From my understanding, you want to do pharmacy but your family doesn't?

Anyways, I think you have a good chance on getting into pharmacy school. However, since you want to apply to pharmacy schools that don't require PCAT, it depends a lot on your residency. I know for Purdue University, you have an 80% chance of getting in if you are an Indiana resident. For non-residents its twice as hard even with your stats.

I would suggest just taking the PCAT. It'll be a lot easier for you to apply to schools and with your grades, a low PCAT won't really hurt you.

As for experience, you should atleast shadow pharmacists or volunteer and expand your knowledge in the field. Wanting to do pharmacy without much experience is like going to school blind folded.

And remember, the admissions commitee at any school [whether they take PCAT or not] don't just look at academics. You have to do things outside of academics to make yourself stand out.

Your MCAT/GRE won't be of any benefit if you want to do pharmacy. It really has nothing to do with it.

So I graduated this May with a bachelors in Biology. I had always had an interest into going into pharmacy but my family pushed me into another direction.

-I have a 3.65 overall/3.80 science GPA (overall is low due to my first year at my previous school and I had back to back 4.0's my senior year)
-2 publications (one in tox, one in eco)
-Presented my research at multiple conferences all over the country (OR,MD,MA)
-Worked for a year in a Toxicology Lab
-Spent 2 years as the Academic Resource Centers Bio Tutor
-President of Biology Club for the last year
-Got the Academic Achievement Award in Bio (highest GPA in major for graduating class)

My extracurriculars are solid but I lack any legitimate pharmacy experience. I am hoping my academics make up for it.

I really want to go to MCPHS Worcester, which luckily does not require a PCAT.

Do you guys think I have a decent shot at being accepted and could forgo not having to take the PCAT?

I also have fairly high MCAT/GRE scores...do you think they can benefit me in anyway?

Any info or insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I'd say you're in fantastic shape. I think you certainly should try and get some pharmacy experience just to make sure it's really what you want to do with your life, but lots of people get in every year without it. I'd guess that you certainly don't need it to get in.

As far as whether or not to take the PCAT, that probably depends on the school. I applied to one school that didn't require it and even though I submitted it to them, they never mentioned it even though it was very good. I got in there, but if my PCAT score had anything to do with they certainly didn't give any indication that was the case.

If I were you, I would try contacting the school to see if they give any preference to applicants with great scores. Or you could take it and only submit your score if it's stellar. Or do both.

MCAT/GRE scores are useless as far as I know. Except for the fact that if you crushed the MCAT, you'd probably do even better on the PCAT, but Adcoms aren't going to consider that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would take the PCAT. Your stats are good, but there is no such thing as a guarantee when applying to pharmacy school, and having a solid PCAT score will open up a lot more doors for you.

I personally would probably not mention the MCAT in pharmacy school applications or interviews. It may give the impression that pharmacy school is a backup plan for you and is not truly your passion. That could hurt your chances. Just my opinion.

I'd say take it, definitely. Honestly, with your stats it probably wouldn't be that difficult for you, and you'd have it just in case.

Anyways, I think you have a good chance on getting into pharmacy school. However, since you want to apply to pharmacy schools that don't require PCAT, it depends a lot on your residency. I know for Purdue University, you have an 80% chance of getting in if you are an Indiana resident. For non-residents its twice as hard even with your stats.
Purdue is a public institution so it gives preference to instate applicants. MCPHS is a private institution so it won't.