Should I even bother trying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AUDwannaBE

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non traditional student, just turned 30. For the past 4 years I've been a speech therapist. I graduated undergrad with a degree in speech and hearing sciences with a 2.94 gpa. The science classes I did take were related to my major (I.e. Bioacoustics which is physics, neuroanatomy, speech and hearing science). I have very few prerequistes completed and those that are are now expired so I will have to retake them. My masters gpa was only a 3.4. I have a c in one of my clinical practicums. Also, I dropped classes a lot in undergrad and grad school because I was working while attending school so I have a few w's. I was lucky to get into speech therapy masters because I aced my GRE and had glowing letters of the recommendation and my gpa in last 60 hours is about a 3.7. I tend to excel at taking Tests. If i am able to ace the OAT and do well in pre-reqs what are my chances at being accepted? I have to continue working full time so I'm hoping I can take 2 classes a semester. I just don't want to spend all this time and money on trying to get in somewhere if chances are too slim. Is there anything else I can do besides getting good grades and oat score? Thanks so much everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Do it. I was a non-traditional student as well. I majored in Applied Mathematics with a 2.9 GPA. I applied with about a 3.01 GPA and a 360 OAT and have gotten in everywhere I have interviewed at. (Knock on wood- I have my last interview this Monday lol.)

Also those classes in which your pre-reqs are expired, I was able to just take upper level classes in those divisions like Orgo 2 to supplement my expired Chem 1 credit.

Reactions: 1 users
Do it. I was a non-traditional student as well. I majored in Applied Mathematics with a 2.9 GPA. I applied with about a 3.01 GPA and a 360 OAT and have gotten in everywhere I have interviewed at. (Knock on wood- I have my last interview this Monday lol.)

Also those classes in which your pre-reqs are expired, I was able to just take upper level classes in those divisions like Orgo 2 to supplement my expired Chem 1 credit.

Thank you for your encouragement! Did you do any shadowing or have any experience working as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your encouragement! Did you do any shadowing or have any experience working as well?

I did a little bit of shadowing and currently I work as an ophthalmology tech for my brother. I really do believe you have other facets to share your interest in this profession so don't give up!

I second the recommendation to go for it. Most schools will have a list of pre-reqs they want on their website as well as a policy of how long ago they need to have been taken. I think the longest is about 10 years.

If you aced your GRE you will do well on the OAT. A high score should get you interviews almost everywhere you apply.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there,

Which schools are you planning to apply to? Do you have any shadowing experience in optometry? What makes you interested in optometry?

If you have to continue working full-time, I'm going to be realistic and say it's going to be tough. Will you be able to take time off to take your OAT and attend interviews? Will you be able to dedicate time to studying for the OAT? I don't know what's on the GRE, but you will be tested on biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics as your sciences. I was working full-time while studying for the OAT and applying, and it was very hard to motivate myself to study. I had to request a lot of days off too.