Should I even bother?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

May3Exam

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm a a third-year med student and I've been strongly considering opthalmology as my residency choice since my first year. I did ophtho research during medical school and was able to publish (third author in american journal of ophtho). My step 1 didn't go as well as I wanted (227). Since then, I've been feeling really down because I feel like I blew my chances of getting into an ophtho residency. I'm even too scared to make an appointment with the residency director at my school because I dont want to hear him tell me that I should consider something else instead of ophtho. I go to a top 10 medical school, but I'm not a stellar student here. What do you guys think? Should I consider something else because I don't have good chances? I would really really appreciate any constructive input. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone, I'm a a third-year med student and I've been strongly considering opthalmology as my residency choice since my first year. I did ophtho research during medical school and was able to publish (third author in american journal of ophtho). My step 1 didn't go as well as I wanted (227). Since then, I've been feeling really down because I feel like I blew my chances of getting into an ophtho residency. I'm even too scared to make an appointment with the residency director at my school because I dont want to hear him tell me that I should consider something else instead of ophtho. I go to a top 10 medical school, but I'm not a stellar student here. What do you guys think? Should I consider something else because I don't have good chances? I would really really appreciate any constructive input. Thanks!

With a paper published and attending a top 10 medical school, your Step 1 score doesn't look as bad as you think - you should have okay chances at many residencies ( there are like 117 programs out there ). However, if you feel like you want to enter a top 10 program then thats a different story.

i think if its really what you want you should suck it up and go talk to the director at your program see what he has to say. and be honest about your record. i did the same thing when i was considering whether or not i could get a residency in ophtho.
for what its worth i was told directors are looking at the whole package. grades, step scores, and research - doing really well in one area can't really make up for doing really bad in another area.
i dont know your grades but you step 1 score really isnt bad. its slightly below last year's match average, but people match with lower scores and higher scores that's why they call it an average. and you can balance that out by taking step 2 early in 4th year and really studying hard to improve your score.
you have research work. you could always take a year off if you think they're looking for more.
and a few away electives can help you get your foot in the door.
if i were you i'd really go pitch myself to the program director and see what he says.
don't give up so soon if its really what you want.....

Members don't see this ad :)
i think if its really what you want you should suck it up and go talk to the director at your program see what he has to say. and be honest about your record. i did the same thing when i was considering whether or not i could get a residency in ophtho.
for what its worth i was told directors are looking at the whole package. grades, step scores, and research - doing really well in one area can't really make up for doing really bad in another area.
i dont know your grades but you step 1 score really isnt bad. its slightly below last year's match average, but people match with lower scores and higher scores that's why they call it an average. and you can balance that out by taking step 2 early in 4th year and really studying hard to improve your score.
you have research work. you could always take a year off if you think they're looking for more.
and a few away electives can help you get your foot in the door.
if i were you i'd really go pitch myself to the program director and see what he says.
don't give up so soon if its really what you want.....

jersey girl is right :thumbup:

jersey girl is right :thumbup:

both these people are right...honestly there are some TOP programs that only care about where you went to med school...that added with your publication will certainly help...a 227 is NOT a bad score...is it a 260? of course not, but like the above posts said...it's an average...meaning 231 average ISNT the cutoff...half are below and half are above (approximately)

you WILL match somewhere...the question is more of where...i can assure you that you stand a very good chance....just go for it my friend!!! I think you will be pleasantly surprised

Thanks guys for your respones! I really appreciate it. Sigh- I decided I'm going to go ahead and make the appointment with my school's residency director and see what he says. I certainly don't mind going to a program thats NOT a top program. I think I would be happy doing ophtholmology whereever I end up. I'm also going to try to do some international optho work before time to apply... please wish me luck!

Good Luck!!! :)

the world of ophtho is really small... which makes it great if you can hook up and do some MEANINGFUL research as FIRST AUTHOR (not just a case report) with big-name people and get it published or even SUBMITTED for publishing. also, making presentations at conferences, submitting abstracts/posters to AAO/ARVO can not only boost your CV, but going to these conferences can be a segue to go and kiss up to big-time staff at places that you want to go, introduce yourself, say a few nice things about some article or presentation they did that you believe will save the world... so much of this, it seems, is about WHO you know. im not AOA/mdphd/walk on water types that many ophtho applicants are... but ive been able to tap these resources and get papers, connections, and interviews at places that i prolly wouldnt have gotten.

also, LORs from big-names mean a LOT in ophtho, even if they're not long but as long as they're strong.

the programs ive interviewed at so far, most of my interviewers were probably given my files a few minutes before the interview and they all went straight to LORs... and just saw the NAME of the person, and many of them mentioned, "oh, you're highly recommended by dr. xxxxx...."

to summarize:
1. do some big-time research work. publish as first author. present at conferences
2. find ways to kiss up to big time ophtho people... as al pacino reminds us in "devil's advocate": "vanity... my favorite sin"
3. get LORs from these big time people by working with them clinically or doing research