Should I even bother?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GBPac12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am having a really hard time deciding whether or not I should apply to Dental school - rather if I am a decent candidate. College has been kicking my a** for the last two years. I am currently 22 years old with 75 credits under my belt, looking at 87 at the end of this semester. My overall GPA is at a 3.3, I have no major - leaning toward PHIL - as of yet. Currently have 8 W's on my record: dropped a whole semester (4 classes) and 4 other classes during the last year. I was barley able to maintain a 3.0 last year.

What really bothers me is that I know I am capable of much more then that. However, I feel like I should give you a bit of background info regarding my particular circumstances (no particular order):

- I was recently diagnosed with Adult ADHD-PI/ADD.
- I was working about 20-30 hours a week during a good majority of my time as a college student.
- Parents had a very nasty break up, no legal divorce but a separation. Father nowhere to be seen.
- Family lost our home and we are currently about to lose our second one.
- Came very close to living on the street for a good 3-6 months.
- Commuting to college ~45 minute away every single day, missed some classes and an exam because of car breaking down.
- Extremely stressed and depressed to the point that my psychologist, provided by the university who has been there for about 10 years was absolute floored when I told here what I was going through (much more than the above) - was amazed I could even get out of bed going as far as to say she has never treated/advised anyone with my amount of stress/issues.

Finally my question is would it be possible for me to apply for Dental school, given my 8 W's and rather low GPA? Also, considering that I attend an undergraduate university with a dental program will my chances improve? I understand that it would really not be in my best interest to give out all my personal lows when applying for Dental school, don't want them to seem like excuses but I feel like let them guess is much worse. I am not really sure what to do at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

Your gpa actually isn't that bad given your circumstances, but your 8 W's will definitely be a red flag, especially since 4 of them happened in 1 semester. What is your sgpa like? I wouldn't say that ds is completely out of the question, but you might need a year or more of solid GPAs to prove that you're capable of surviving in ds. Also, some schools give you the opportunity to explain grades. I would also aim for 20+ DAT.

Gosh, I am very sorry to here all of this. I think you need to provide some more information, such as what is your science GPA? Do you have all of your science courses taken to apply to dental school and all of your other prereqs. Also, the DAT is another idea in itself, that weighs on being a good applicant or too. As far as your 8 W's go, I think you may be able to explain these; however, considering your situation I don't know how much they will affect you. There is also another area of how much shadowing you have done or clinical experience. It seems like you are extremely tight on time but most schools and I say most as in almost every single one wants to see some dedication to the field.

I hope this helps, but you don't need to lose hope, this is a process for everyone just as yourself of getting into a professional school. Keep your head high and keep working hard towards what you want.

Also, you may want to claim a major!

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally my question is would it be possible for me to apply for Dental school, given my 8 W's and rather low GPA?
I think so as long as you increase your GPA and don't continue on the same trend. For the year 2009, the average matriculate cumulative and science GPA's were 3.56 and 3.47, respectively. AA, PAT, and TS DAT scores were 19, 19.3, and 19.2, respectively. Average matriculation GPA and DAT scores have been steadily increasing over the past ten years. Plenty of people are accepted every year with GPA's and DAT scores below and above the national matriculation average.
Also, considering that I attend an undergraduate university with a dental program will my chances improve?
No.
I understand that it would really not be in my best interest to give out all my personal lows when applying for Dental school, don't want them to seem like excuses but I feel like let them guess is much worse. I am not really sure what to do at this point.
There are places on the AADSAS application and on some secondaries/supplementary applications that give you a chance to explain these things.

My sGPA is about 3.13. However, I have taken about half of my science classes. How would I explain my lack of EC? I mean I work a lot , too much, but about 2/3 of it is under the table, so no real way of verifying it.

Also, I have retaken or about to retake 6 of the 8 classes that I dropped. If I end up doing pretty well, would that help at all?

My sGPA is about 3.13. However, I have taken about half of my science classes. How would I explain my lack of EC? I mean I work a lot , too much, but about 2/3 of it is under the table, so no real way of verifying it.

Also, I have retaken or about to retake 6 of the 8 classes that I dropped. If I end up doing pretty well, would that help at all?

You shouldn't explain your lack of EC, you should go and get involved ASAP! Also, make sure you get your shadowing hours. While it's great that you work, they are looking for students who excel in all areas. Your sgpa isn't too bad either, but you should try your best to ace the rest of your upcoming science classes, and own the DAT. Upward trends are always nice. What were your grades in your retaken classes? I still think you have a chance, and you're a lot better off than other people with sub 3.0 gpas.

If this is what you want, then go for it. You don't have a huge hole to climb out of but the W's could be an issue. Just work hard at school, cut back on expenses so you can work less and shadow a real dentist. Kill your DAT when the time comes and apply. You're 22! I would trade my left arm to be 22 again...oh but then I couldn't practice dentistry, so nevermind :p

You can't expect that your situation, however unfortunate, will justify a low science GPA. This is where a high DAT score comes in very useful. When you're ready, take and do well on upper-level science courses.

You shouldn't explain your lack of EC, you should go and get involved ASAP! Also, make sure you get your shadowing hours. While it's great that you work, they are looking for students who excel in all areas. Your sgpa isn't too bad either, but you should try your best to ace the rest of your upcoming science classes, and own the DAT. Upward trends are always nice. What were your grades in your retaken classes? I still think you have a chance, and you're a lot better off than other people with sub 3.0 gpas.

The issue regarding EC is that I am the Head of the Household and I have to work. I don't mind putting off dental school for a year after graduation if I can improve my ECs a bit.

Also, the classes that I have dropped are 2 science classes... twice... I just couldn't bring myself to study at that time and felt like if I continue I would end up falling the course (ADD issues.) I was literally studying a day before for an Orgo II exam, it was almost impossible for me to start studying until there was some kind of pressure. Most of my classes were like that I would get C's on exams/midterms and destroy the finals which would end up netting me a B. Just like my Bio class, which I also dropped, twice but got a B in it. Again, C- average for 3/4 of the exams and a 96 on final...

The issue regarding EC is that I am the Head of the Household and I have to work. I don't mind putting off dental school for a year after graduation if I can improve my ECs a bit.

Also, the classes that I have dropped are 2 science classes... twice... I just couldn't bring myself to study at that time and felt like if I continue I would end up falling the course (ADD issues.) I was literally studying a day before for an Orgo II exam, it was almost impossible for me to start studying until there was some kind of pressure. Most of my classes were like that I would get C's on exams/midterms and destroy the finals which would end up netting me a B. Just like my Bio class, which I also dropped, twice but got a B in it. Again, C- average for 3/4 of the exams and a 96 on final...

Are you a senior now? It's not uncommon for applicants to take a year off after graduation. While you improve your ECs in your off-year, you could also look into a post-bac program where you could take a couple night classes a semester to continue raising your GPA.

I am literally the same way where I would keep everything until the last minute where I felt I had no choice but to study. But you gotta change that! Seeing as you've been able to ace your finals, you do have it in you to get those solid A's. Also, don't forget about the DAT. That's def not a test you can study for last minute. Best of luck!

You can't expect that your situation, however unfortunate, will justify a low science GPA. This is where a high DAT score comes in very useful. When you're ready, take and do well on upper-level science courses.

I plan on doing everything I can to stay competitive in regards to the DAT, if I do well on the rest of my science courses I am looking at a 3.55 to a 3.6 sGPA.

Are you a senior now? It's not uncommon for applicants to take a year off after graduation. While you improve your ECs in your off-year, you could also look into a post-bac program where you could take a couple night classes a semester to continue raising your GPA.

I am literally the same way where I would keep everything until the last minute where I felt I had no choice but to study. But you gotta change that! Seeing as you've been able to ace your finals, you do have it in you to get those solid A's. Also, don't forget about the DAT. That's def not a test you can study for last minute. Best of luck!

I am trying to change that, but it's not something we can just turn off. It takes time and time is really not on my side. I will try to rock the DAT and hopefully convert my work hours to EC hours. :laugh:

Most people procrastinate because they don't like doing whatever they are procrastinating for. You wouldn't procrastinate doing something enjoyable now would you? Make learning and extracting information an enjoyable experience. I made it into a game where I would pace myself and record how many slides on a Powerpoint or how many pages of a textbook I could read/memorize/learn in an hour. Over the course of the semester I would try to increase my rate and efficiency. It helps a lot if you are interested in knowing how everything in the universe works. It's good to always ask yourself "Why?" and "How?".

Experiment with different study methods. I didn't do well on one particular exam so I tried using flash cards. It turned out flashcards were even more inefficient so I went back to memorizing and recalling entire Powerpoint slides. I learned to appreciate and enjoy that feeling of accomplishment after I learn an entire Powerpoint presentation and become able to recall and teach it to someone else. For any type of learning, I learned it helps a great deal to memorize an outline (chapter sections) that divides an entire block of information into smaller, more-digestible parts. It helps with recall. Mnemonics also help.

View learning as a way of improving yourself. The self is more than a physical body; it's a thinking machine with the functions of a hard-drive, processor, and RAM. I find seeing myself improve as an information -extracting and -processing machine very fulfilling. Learn to enjoy challenging yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people procrastinate because they don't like doing whatever they are procrastinating for. You wouldn't procrastinate doing something enjoyable now would you? Make learning and extracting information an enjoyable experience. I made it into a game where I would pace myself and record how many slides on a Powerpoint or how many pages of a textbook I could read/memorize/learn in an hour. Over the course of the semester I would try to increase my rate and efficiency.

Experiment with different study methods. I didn't do well on one particular exam so I tried using flash cards. It turned out flashcards were even more inefficient so I went back to memorizing and recalling entire Powerpoint slides. I learned to appreciate and enjoy that feeling of accomplishment after I learn an entire Powerpoint presentation and become able to recall and teach it to someone else. For any type of learning, I learned it helps a great deal to memorize an outline (chapter sections) that divides an entire block of information into smaller, more-digestible parts.

View learning as a way of improving yourself. The self is more than a physical body; it's a thinking machine with the functions of a hard-drive, processor, and RAM. I find seeing myself improve as an information -extracting and -processing machine very fulfilling. Learn to enjoy challenging yourself.

This.

I've finally learned to do this and it's made all of the difference for me. OP if you can do this then you're good to go :thumbup:

UCSFx2017,

Procrastination for me was on a whole other level. Whenever I tried to motivate myself to do HW, study, and or anything else that required sustained focus/concentration I would constantly drift every few minutes. This was not healthy, for example, when I had to read slides for my Bio classes I would read them over and over again but nothing would stick. I would lose my train of thought and every time a new concept was introduced I had to reteach myself the basics and then finally catch up to everyone else, pretty much my working memory was s***. This took so much of my time, which was scarce to begin with.

I agree with in the respect to self improvement, to be honest that is the only reason I am actually at a 3.3. I tried so many different strategies and all of them failed, some got me Bs but nothing really helped unless the pressure was on.

At 22 you are head of the household? As in taking care of your mom and siblings? How will they fair once you start dental school? I won't pretend to be in your shoes or know what you're going through but perhaps you are enabling family to be dependent on you? What about government assistance? You have to give it up/slow it down somehow some way because as much as one can sympathize with your position, it's not going to fly when application time comes and you don't have the GPA/DAT scores to be competitive.

At 22 you are head of the household? As in taking care of your mom and siblings? How will they fair once you start dental school? I won't pretend to be in your shoes or know what you're going through but perhaps you are enabling family to be dependent on you? What about government assistance? You have to give it up/slow it down somehow some way because as much as one can sympathize with your position, it's not going to fly when application time comes and you don't have the GPA/DAT scores to be competitive.

Yes, I take care of my mother and siblings. I am trying to get some of my siblings to pick up some of the slack, but only time will tell how well that works out. I am planning to move out to avoid having to drive to campus, and trying some things out as well - I constantly running scenarios in my head. Grades should not be an issue as I am pretty confident I can digest the material, just have to find the time for it.

Yes, I take care of my mother and siblings. I am trying to get some of my siblings to pick up some of the slack, but only time will tell how well that works out. I am planning to move out to avoid having to drive to campus, and trying some things out as well - I constantly running scenarios in my head. Grades should not be an issue as I am pretty confident I can digest the material, just have to find the time for it.

Is your mom able to work? I admire your willingness to help your family but at the same time you are 22 and perhaps being taken advantage of. As long as you are there to bail everyone out they will depend on you....in the end you are not allowing your sibling to learn to be more independent and your mom is not helping anyone's situation. I don't know how old your siblings are and I'm sorry you are in this position. It reminds me very much of one of my friends that was working full-time and going to school full-time to support her mother who was diagnosed with MS. Her mother is perfectly capable of earning a living and having a normal life thus far, but she chooses to collect disability and gamble. When her electric gets turned off, her kids have to come to her rescue every time.

Is your mom able to work? I admire your willingness to help your family but at the same time you are 22 and perhaps being taken advantage of. As long as you are there to bail everyone out they will depend on you....in the end you are not allowing your sibling to learn to be more independent and your mom is not helping anyone's situation. I don't know how old your siblings are and I'm sorry you are in this position. It reminds me very much of one of my friends that was working full-time and going to school full-time to support her mother who was diagnosed with MS. Her mother is perfectly capable of earning a living and having a normal life thus far, but she chooses to collect disability and gamble. When her electric gets turned off, her kids have to come to her rescue every time.

Sadly my mother is not able to work, she is disabled and collects disability. I have had the accessional thought of being used here and there, but I tend to stress out even more when there is an air of uncertainty regarding our finances. I am not working full time like you friend, who I hope is in a better position now, but I really feel like thing might turn around soon. Putting my life on hold is going to be a bit of a challenge but if I keep going after my dream of being a dentist with all my baggage that should show some kind of dedication. Only time will tell, but it is nice to have a place to get some advice :D.

Are you absolutely sure this is what you want to do? That dentistry is your dream?

The reason I ask is because I almost get the feeling that you want us to convince you of something. Even the phrase of the subject ("Should I even bother?") makes me think that this isn't really what you want to do. (Compare it to someone else's recently titled "Is it possible?") It just seems to me that you don't really know if this is what you want. (that is totally okay by the way.) Also, as someone mentioned earlier, often we often procrastinate when it's something we don't want to do. Are you sure you want to take these hard science classes for another four years?

I really think that you should consider taking a year off to work and get into the real world. When I was in college, all of my answers to the previous questions would have been "No." It took me a couple of years of working before I realized I wanted to go back to school and hit the books with an enthusiasm I never had before.

You've been through some tough stuff and I'm really sorry about that. It might do you good to not take any classes for a year or two, and just work and make money and get through the day to day. If you want to go back to school after some time away, then do it! You're young, you have plenty of time. Personally, I was not ready to make these decisions when I was in college. Now that I've had some perspective, I am more ready than ever before.

Just something to consider. No matter what you do, just take it one day at a time. Keep putting one foot in front of the other. You will get there eventually.

I wish the best for you!

Hey guys,

I am having a really hard time deciding whether or not I should apply to Dental school - rather if I am a decent candidate. College has been kicking my a** for the last two years. I am currently 22 years old with 75 credits under my belt, looking at 87 at the end of this semester. My overall GPA is at a 3.3, I have no major - leaning toward PHIL - as of yet. Currently have 8 W's on my record: dropped a whole semester (4 classes) and 4 other classes during the last year. I was barley able to maintain a 3.0 last year.

What really bothers me is that I know I am capable of much more then that. However, I feel like I should give you a bit of background info regarding my particular circumstances (no particular order):

- I was working about 20-30 hours a week during a good majority of my time as a college student.
- Parents had a very nasty break up, no legal divorce but a separation. Father nowhere to be seen.
- Commuting to college ~45 minute away every single day, missed some classes and an exam because of car breaking down.
- Extremely stressed and depressed to the point that my psychologist, provided by the university who has been there for about 10 years was absolute floored when I told here what I was going through (much more than the above) - was amazed I could even get out of bed going as far as to say she has never treated/advised anyone with my amount of stress/issues.

Finally my question is would it be possible for me to apply for Dental school, given my 8 W's and rather low GPA? Also, considering that I attend an undergraduate university with a dental program will my chances improve? I understand that it would really not be in my best interest to give out all my personal lows when applying for Dental school, don't want them to seem like excuses but I feel like let them guess is much worse. I am not really sure what to do at this point.

First of all... don't blame your problems on ADHD. I was diagnosed with it when I was younger, and diagnosed with it as an adult and been advised to take meds (I don't take anything for it). I understand everyone different, if you choose to take meds, thats fine, some people CLAIM to function better (I wouldn't know). This is a "disease" that is easily treatable with Will or Meds.

Second, you are not too far in the deep to be disregarding dental schools. But you have to buck up. From this point forward, no more Ws, and no more grades less than B+ (especially in important sciences).

And finally, you've had some problems in the past and while it sucks... the harsh reality is, Dental admission is competitive, when there are 2000-4000 applicants for 100-or-so seats, they are going to be VERY selective. Meaning, people with family problems, personal issues, ADHD, etc etc are a liability (imagine you go though another bad phase during dental school? could cause you to drop out ~ they don't like to see that). Moral of the story is, keep your personal problems out of the application process, the #1 thing for you RIGHT NOW is to focus on ur GPA and scienceGPA.

all the best

You can't win if you don't play the game so get up off the bench and get in the game. :)

Sent from my LG-LS970 using SDN Mobile

Hey guys,

it sounds like what you need is to do some serious study and reflection on your personality and motivations.

You don't even know what you want to do for yourself in undergrad. I hear no experience with dentistry (e.g. shadowing, etc) nor anything else to demonstrate you'd be a good candidate for dental school. (doesn't mean you can't become it: read on)

"This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man." ~Shakespeare

I find it amazing that the N. American education system puts so many people on the path to chasing their own tail for so many years/ decades in some cases. The obviousness of what it means to the future of the young person and society later on in NOT finding out who they are (personality and all that jazz) and what motivates them as well as NOT teaching a lick about money management matters is ON PURPOSE. They need to keep the machine well oiled with confused, warm bodies they can keep dumping in it.

Do some serious research into #1 Who you are. Then start to approach the problem of a career, profession, etc and the education requires into YOUR CUSTOMIZED BOX (not anyone elses). Go to a career center and ask them for a professional level personality test, e.g. Meyers Briggs. This is a good start.

You sound utterly lost to me. Perhaps dentistry is for you, how do you know? If you reach the point where YOU KNOW you'll find everything else will fall into place (grades, time management, exactly how and when to apply etc etc)

I actually decided to pursue dentistry after taking a freshmen dentistry seminar, which highlighted specific fields of dentistry, the research aspect (specifically facial reconstruction) and we had different dental specialist in every other week. The whole experience was refreshing, as I was seriously considering something in the medical field before applying to any undergraduate schools but dentistry never crossed my mind. We had a close friend of the instructor, who at that time was a dental school professor, come to class and go through the run down of owning a private practice and the importance of creating a bond with your patients/clients, that is when it really hit me. He was extremely passionate about his profession and I really think that rubbed off on me. I have worked in the customer service industry and learned a lot about what kinds of interactions take place in the real world and how important it is to ask the right questions and find a solution that works for both parities, where Dentistry seemed to outshine Medicine, for me personally. What I am trying to get at is that I have had some experience with dentistry but nothing really concert, other then the dentistry course on my transcript, but it is something that interests me and I don't mind going to school knowing that I will be becoming a dentist one day. I understand the concerns that most people have with my indecisiveness, but most of that comes from situational circumstance which I am trying to change but it is a slow and draining process - as you can see by the negativity spewing from my initial post.

There are individuals who have completed dental school only to realize that becoming a lawyer is what they always wanted to do and vise versa. There is nothing wrong with that, I mean you're on your way to finding what really gives meaning to your life and as long as you find it then does it really matter that you spent a few years "discovering" yourself. Shouldn't end result be what matters? I would like to be certain that dentistry is right for me, like everyone else in their respective programs, but that takes time and actually involves practicing it. However, based on what I have read and seen it seems like something that I really might enjoy. I guess I am mostly confused about not what might constitute a good candidate for a program, dedication to the field or competence. Dedication can take you far, but if you don't have the competence to be a dentist or that of awareness, specifically to your clients needs, then you're not going to be a "good" dentist - again subjective view of a qualified dentist.

Also, I do understand that some of my issues might become liabilities down the road but they are part of what I am today and I cannot change that. However given that I have stayed in school, dropped out of classes because I knew that they might turn into F's, and stayed somewhat competitive wouldn't that signify some sort of resolve/dedication?

...Also, I do understand that some of my issues might become liabilities down the road but they are part of what I am today and I cannot change that. However given that I have stayed in school, dropped out of classes because I knew that they might turn into F's, and stayed somewhat competitive wouldn't that signify some sort of resolve/dedication?

:thumbup:

Keep on keeping on! Give 'em hell. Do everything you can to extract yourself from negative BS trying to keep you down.

I can't remember if in how the AADSAS calculates their GPAs the Ws turn into 0s or not. I downloaded the rules a few years ago before I committed myself to predent and calculated my GPAs course by course per the rules

be careful. it would suck to get everything in order only to have a bomb be dropped on your application 3-4 years into this all consuming effort.

google 'AADSAS GPA calculations' and a .pdf with the framework they use for calculating GPAs should come up (if you haven't already dug into this)

Update: I just scanned the document and it would appear at a glance that perhaps Ws are not counted in the calculations.

One hella-scary caveat applies to anybody needing to repeat coursework. it says, "ADEA AADSAS counts the previously-earned grade and the new grade..." So, if a course or two has been repeated, say a D to a B+ or something, unlike most University transcripts which calculate the GPA with a replacement of the repeated grade, AADSAS counts the D. Wow. No wonder that other poster in that other thread with three Fs is so screwed even if he/ she repeats all 3 Fs and gets 3 As.

:thumbup:

Keep on keeping on! Give 'em hell. Do everything you can to extract yourself from negative BS trying to keep you down.

I can't remember if in how the AADSAS calculates their GPAs the Ws turn into 0s or not. I downloaded the rules a few years ago before I committed myself to predent and calculated my GPAs course by course per the rules

be careful. it would suck to get everything in order only to have a bomb be dropped on your application 3-4 years into this all consuming effort.

google 'AADSAS GPA calculations' and a .pdf with the framework they use for calculating GPAs should come up (if you haven't already dug into this)

Update: I just scanned the document and it would appear at a glance that perhaps Ws are not counted in the calculations.

One hella-scary caveat applies to anybody needing to repeat coursework. it says, "ADEA AADSAS counts the previously-earned grade and the new grade..." So, if a course or two has been repeated, say a D to a B+ or something, unlike most University transcripts which calculate the GPA with a replacement of the repeated grade, AADSAS counts the D. Wow. No wonder that other poster in that other thread with three Fs is so screwed even if he/ she repeats all 3 Fs and gets 3 As.

That is a bit of a relief. I mean I am pretty sure I can provide a good enough answer if the issue of Ws come up during an interview. To be honest my advisor said something similar to that, regarding drops vs a grade lower then a C-. I am just going to have to stay in school for another 2 years, and add as many science classes as I can handle and hope for a killer DAT.

Once I get into a Dental school my grades will pretty much be irrelevant at that point so no need to dwell on them and just move on.

Also, I read the AADSAS grading policy .pdf and they stated "Withdraw/Fail grades ARE included in the overall GPA calculation" so a W/F would be counted whereas a W would not?