should i explain 8 in verbal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LostLost

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, etc).

Should I explain getting an 8 in verbal? there wasn't anything extenuating at the day of MCAT ......time constraint, ESL, and stupid art passages..... should i explain?

Members don't see this ad.

If there wasn't anything to explain, what are you going to say?

See "The Neurotic Premed Reassurance Thread".

Members don't see this ad :)
hey doesn't say anything about 8 in verbal??

What did you select as your primary language on the AMCAS application? If it was something other than English, then they'll most likely consider your ESL status when reviewing your score (I can't promise that it will help you, but it will definitely be noticed).

Whether or not the above applies to you, I would suggest leaving that essay blank. There are no circumstances worth noting that cannot already be extrapolated from your application, and mentioning it as a "weakness" will only make them pay extra (and probably unwanted) attention to it.

Tired, is that an ultrasound of one baby shooting another through the chest with a gun? God damn, creepy.

I blame it on rap music and videogames.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
there is a difference between explaining and complaining.... "time constraint" and "stupid art passages" fall under complaining ....not to mention isn't the time constraing a big part of the POINT of the verbal section??

What's there to explain? You don't understand what you read! Focus on the positives in your app.

Let your essays demonstrate your grasp of the English language.

Briefly discuss any extenuating circumstances which you feel are pertinent to your application (poor grades, course withdrawals, etc).

Should I explain getting an 8 in verbal? there wasn't anything extenuating at the day of MCAT ......time constraint, ESL, and stupid art passages..... should i explain?

Isn't an 8 average (50th percentile)? What's the big deal?

If a student has a learning disability -extra time on SAT, etc in HS, but those rules no longer apply in university or the MCAT would it be helpful to your case to explain the time constraint is an issue or does that come across as whiny excuse making?