Should I fill out the "other impactful experiences" essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bur_covery

Reaction score
I have a quick question about the "other impactful experiences" essay for AMCAS. I'm debating whether to complete it.
My 4 options:

1. My family immigrated to the US from China when I was 12. My dad was a judge in China and decided to go through American law school to become a lawyer here, while my mom spent most of her time still in China, working full time to provide financial support to my dad and I (my dad did not work at all while he was in school). I could write about how I was mostly responsible for myself (cooking, going to school, cleaning) since I was 12--my parents are very loving but became absent ever since we moved. I barely spoke English, struggled throughout middle school, and was bullied. I could build a character arc by talking about how I eventually overcame everything and became very successful in high school.

2. Related to #1, I could also talk about how watching my dad go through language school, adapt to a new environment, go to law school, pass the bar exams after two tries, and eventually restart his career in his 40s in a foreign country has inspired me to be a life-long learner.

3. explain my poor GPA due to death in the family and depression

4. write about all 3? Or not at all if you don't think it's necessary? I mention my immigrant background in my PS, but I'm considering taking it out and writing about it in OIE.

Thank you for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

I would not try to explain a low gpa unless it's very low and you have a clear cut reason that won't sound like an excuse. Why draw attention to a flaw in your application? Using that space to talk about challenging life experiences is fine (what it was intended for). Topic 1 that you listed seems fine. I don't really understand why 2 or 3 would be relevant here.

Read

Remember the essays need to focus on you. You only have 1325 characters; this is the length of an MME.

Yes, your immigrant background can be the basis for your OIE or any secondary that asks about "what makes you unique" or "what diversity do you bring" or "is there anything else we should know about you"? You also have opportunities to discuss how you overcame challenges.

I agree, you don't need to write about or justify any flaws in your application, nor use the application as a confessional for any mistakes unless appropriate.

#1 looks like a good option to me!