Should I fill out the "other impactful experiences" essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zakimran23

Reaction score
Had a quick question about the "other impactful experiences" essay for AMCAS. I'm debating whether or fill out the other impactful experiences essay in AMCAS.
3 options spring to mind:

1. I could write about experiencing racism as a child (and beyond) and the effects it has had on my opportunities as well as how I have developed as a person. I would also discuss working with doctors of color in medicine and seeing how they responded to racism and it really impacting my desire to go into medicine. Although I am south asian compared to other ethnicities I have had it slightly easier.

2. The financial difficulties I have experienced as an adult. I grew up upper middle class, however, I worked through college to pay for tuition. After graduating I began working full-time and was barely scraping by to the point that I had to rely on medicaid and food stamps to financially get by. This is college and adulthood though so I am not sure if the essay is supposed to address those time periods in your life.

3. I could write about both, however, the essay is only 1325 characters and I don't feel like I could flesh out either properly.

4. I could just not write it at all if you all don't feel I fit. Its a new essay so there isn't a ton of info on it.

Thank you for the feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

My thoughts as an asian guy who grew up in a well off family:

1) There is racism and then there is racism. Asian people do face a certain degree of racism but this is very different then the completely dehumanizing and often lethal racism that black people face.

2) You didn't have "financial difficulties". You simply learned how to budget - welcome to adulthood!! There is no way you can convince anyone that an asian guy who grew up upper middle class has ever struggled financially. What are you getting at is not the kind of poverty that many people face and lets be honest, your mom and dad didn't even offer to help you out just a little? And no, being on medicaid doesn't count (especially if you live in California where the threshold of getting on Medicaid is extremely lax).

You should just leave it blank. Not to say that you didn't face challenges. However, imagine a review looking at an application of someone who grew up in serious poverty and had a hate crime committed on them and then they open up the application of some Asian kid who tries to make it look like he's been through racism and "financial difficulties".... definitely not a good look.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the experience of “just scraping by” and relying on Medicaid and food stamps is an impactful experience, especially if you can show how it has given you a better understanding of what economically disadvantaged patients go through. Being poor, even temporarily, can be a real eye-opening experience.

Reactions: 3 users