should I finish? desperately need advice

Started by IUgrad
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

IUgrad

Full Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey, fellow SDNers,
I was hoping to get some advice from some other nontrads. I have a BA/BS in journalism and business and I came back to school to take the prereqs for medical school. After 2.5 years, I will finally finish in December. 😀

So far, things have been pretty good; I got As in every class except org II (B) and physics I (B+). I was finishing these prereqs within the context of a chemistry BA, for financial aid purposes, and now that I'm in my last semester (finished with the premed prereqs), I have to take p-chem to graduate with the BA in chem. P-chem is kicking my butt. (It's horrible - I'm sure all you chem majors can identify, having taken this horrendous class.) I just got our first test back and I got a D (pre-curve, if there even is one)! 🙁

Here is my question, should I drop p-chem and therefore scrap the chemistry degree and concentrate on the MCAT (taking in April) or do you think it is better to finish what I've started? The p-chem class is only offered once a year, so if I drop it, it will mean not finishing the degree.

If they curve it, I might end up with a B, or (gasp) even a C, which would ruin the GPA I've been working so hard to raise. (I got a 3.8 in my postbac classes and raised my overall from a 3.1 to a 3.4, and my science GPA is now a 3.7.)

However, I don't want adcoms to look down on me for not finishing what I started, especially since I might already be seen as a flounderer for having changed my mind once or twice about my career plans. Also, I have a history of a lot of "W" (withdrawn) grades on my record, and this would be another one to have to explain. Also, the chem degree might be nice to have, although I don't think you can work with as a chemist with just a BA.

Please help! Any advice would be appreciated because I'm so torn on what to do!

Thanks for your help.
 
My advise would be to stick it out. Medical schools know that PChem is difficult. Dont you think it will look funky if you are getting a W in a class right at the end of your post bacc stint? I would buckle down and do what ever you need to do to get a B. Go and talk to the teacher, find out what your doing wrong. Unless you can duck out without getting a W, I would say that is will look very bad if you W. It essentially says that you cannot cope with harder classes which is exactly what they are trying to guage.

I felt this exact wat with Physics and got a 72.8 on my first test, but I didnt drop it and ended up with an A. This is the wrong time to have a W show up on your transcript. The idea is that you are more mature now and that you know what your getting into, i.e. not dropping classes anymore.😱
 
I would recommend dropping the class unless you are sure that you will get a grade that will raise your GPA. With an overall 3.4, you cannot afford to have a class that pulls you down. A "W" no matter where is better than a "C" or even a "B" for you. Calculate your GPA and see how it will drop if you do not get at least a B+. If you already have "W's, they are loads better than Cs or Ds. A "D" could be unrecoverable.

Yes, Physical Chemistry is difficult but you do not want to risk not making the cut at all just to "stick it out" in a challenging course. If your total undergraduate GPA was above 3.5, you might be able to chance it but you have a 3.4 and you need every boost that you can get.

In any event, you need to speak with your professor and find out what you can realistically expect in this course. Armed with that info, make your decision but make the decision that gives you the highest overall GPA.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recommend dropping your class as well, and spending the time studying for the MCAT. A strong GPA is more valuable than a second degree. I withdrew from my last post bacc class (physics II) and retook it the following summer. None of my Ws or P/Fs were mentioned in my interview and I was recently accepted EDP. If you really want the chem degree, take the class in your app year when you're a little more relaxed.
 
drop the class now. take it again if you dont get into medschool to finish the degree and make use of it. take a kaplan/princeton review course for the mcat. this test is money. good luck......
 
I disagree with the majority - but here are my caveats... I'm simply a pre-med in the application cycle this time - I haven't been accepted anywhere.....

I think you should stick it out. Here's why:

1 - Pchem is a hard course. It shows that you are up to a challenge.
2 - If you stick it out and make a B or higher you have lots to talk about in the interviews when they ask "tell me about a tough situation you've overcome". It also show tenacity which I'm convinced is the biggest part of this whole process.
3 - If you are anything like me - not finishing the BA that you started will make you nutso.

I agree with njbmd about talking with your prof. Get all the extra help you can and aim for the "B". It isn't the ideal grade and might slightly lower your GPA - but this isn't all about GPA either.....

Last caveat - this is just my 2 pennies - and that won't buy you much! 🙂 Good luck and hang in there..... you can DO THIS!!:luck: :luck:
 
Drop it like it's hot.

The two magic numbers are GPA and MCAT. They will form the initial impression of your application, and they need to be as high as possible.

Nobody is going to give a rat's ass that you stuck it out through some weed-out class which has no bearing on your future.
 
Thanks for your advice, everyone! I appreciate all your helpful comments. You've really helped me to consider all the options.

I am still planning to talk to the prof, but barring any unexpected information, I think that I am going to go ahead and drop it at this point. I agree that it is important to focus on the MCAT right now. I can always take it next year, as orb and njbmd suggested.

I agree with crowman's and runningmom's points about it looking funny at dropping a course at the end of my post-bac, but hopefully that can be viewed in light of everything else that I have going on in my life. I have Crohn's disease that has gotten much worse lately, and between school and working full-time I am overworked without the stress of p-chem. Hopefully the rest of my load will be enough to prove myself....

Thanks again, guys, for all your help!
Good luck in your own endeavors.