Should I focus on content, or mostly practice questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medico o Muerte

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT will be in just under 2 months (about 50 days). I scored a paltry 490 on my first MCAT because I ran out of time on every section and did only 2 third party practice tests. I spent the past 6 months studying mainly content from both KA, ExamKrackers, and Kaplan. I just finished the QPack and my scores were 67% on Bio QPack 1, 70% on CARS Qpack 1, 84% on CARS Qpack 2, 75% on Chem QPack 1, and 83% on Physics. While these scores can. be improved, I don't feel like they show lacking content (I generally heard <60% is lacking content, 70% is Good, and 80% is very good). Do these scores indicate deficit in content? Many of the questions I got wrong could have been deduced from information in the passage and were not explicitly based on prior knowledge. Should I continue content review, or move on to SB, FLs, and UWorld?

Members don't see this ad.

These scores indicate that you're pretty solid on content, but make sure to review the questions and concepts you missed thoroughly. You have spent an adequate amount of time doing content and now it's definitely time to shift to doing problems.

Pick a question bank and third party exams and start working through them. Always thoroughly review your mistakes and go back and reread content from areas you see as weaknesses based on your mistakes. Save 4 weeks to work through the aamc material as well and that would ideally be the last month of prep before the exam.

If you don't have any third party materials and have questions about Next Step materials, I would be happy to answer! At this point though, definitely start working through passages. I hope that helps and if you have any other questions at all, please don't hesitate to reach out!