Should I get a colored printer for dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

planisphere

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am moving in soon for D1, and I wonder if I should get a colored or black/white duplex laser printer.
There are a few cheap black/white ones available from Brother, but wonder if color is essential for extra 100~200 buck (and more in future for constant toner refills).

Also a side question if you guys don't mind...is it possible to get 7-8 hours of sleep daily? lol...I really need sleep in order to function. Having read through a lot of threads here, many answers are scary while others are a good news but sounds too good to be true. Not interested in specializing, but instead I hope to get into a AEGD/GPR with a big school name at least.

Thanks all in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure what the printer is for? You could get an Ipad for 400$ and never have to spend money on ink and paper, plus it will save you so much time. I highly recommend that instead.

I'm sure it's possible to get 7-8 hours of sleep. I need it too, I will do my best to set study time limits and work hard on the weekends if I need to catch up. But there's sacrifices to be made, sleep will ultimately be one of them. But I'm sure it's possible.

Think about the iPad, it's a game changer for annotating slides and staying organized.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure what the printer is for? You could get an Ipad for 400$ and never have to spend money on ink and paper, plus it will save you so much time. I highly recommend that instead.

I'm sure it's possible to get 7-8 hours of sleep. I need it too, I will do my best to set study time limits and work hard on the weekends if I need to catch up. But there's sacrifices to be made, sleep will ultimately be one of them. But I'm sure it's possible.

Think about the iPad, it's a game changer for annotating slides and staying organized.
I just prefer studying and taking notes on paper :p ...I guess I should get used to ipad note taking apps.
As always, appreciate your enthusiastic feedbacks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just prefer studying and taking notes on paper :p ...I guess I should get used to ipad note taking apps.
As always, appreciate your enthusiastic feedbacks.
totally understand! I just highly suggest it because it will be a lot of paper if you decide to go that route. There's screen protectors you can get that "feel" like paper too. You get used to writing on it after a while. But just my thoughts! Obviously, do what makes you most comfortable!

Good luck in dental school this year! I don't start until august :rofl:

Color on slides is rarely required. But I hope your school budgeted $$$ for your paper notes cuz d1/2 we probly took 13ish didactics classes each year with 3 exams each with 12 lectures each with 100 slides per lecture (all ball park numbers) = 46,800 pages per year divided by 2 if you’re doing double sided = a lot of paper, ink, pens, muscle cramps, paper cuts, wasted time flipping through paper and not being able to Cntrl-F your hand writing, lugging the notes around to the library, etc.

I almost always get 8-9 hours of sleep and I’ve been an os guy since day 1.

Reactions: 1 users
Color on slides is rarely required. But I hope your school budgeted $$$ for your paper notes cuz d1/2 we probly took 13ish didactics classes each year with 3 exams each with 12 lectures each with 100 slides per lecture (all ball park numbers) = 46,800 pages per year divided by 2 if you’re doing double sided = a lot of paper, ink, pens, muscle cramps, paper cuts, wasted time flipping through paper and not being able to Cntrl-F your hand writing, lugging the notes around to the library, etc.

I almost always get 8-9 hours of sleep and I’ve been an os guy since day 1.
Ok basically you did the required math work for me, totally convinced me to opt out the paper method lol...
An OS guy getting 8-9 hours of sleep almost always...good to hear! But I guess it is all about being super efficient with time management.

I am moving in soon for D1, and I wonder if I should get a colored or black/white duplex laser printer.
There are a few cheap black/white ones available from Brother, but wonder if color is essential for extra 100~200 buck (and more in future for constant toner refills).
My office does high volume of laser color printings….2-300 color pages every month. As an orthodontist, I need to have hard copies of the patients’ photos in the charts because I still use paper charts. I bought a used HP laser printer (it's so old that it doesn't have the wireless connectivity feature) from a local guy that advertised the printer on craiglist for $100. I bought non-oem color cartridges on Ebay for around $30 for all 3 (Magenta, Cyan, Yellow) and they last a long time…..easily 3000 pages.

I never used a color printer during school and it was fine! Just black/white at the DS and made it through. iPad apps like notability are a game changer nowadays as well.

As for sleep, 7-8 hours is doable. I slept 6.5-7 and that was because I stayed up late sometimes for no good reason haha. Just good time management and it is possible.