Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Everyone 🙂
I have a few questions on being a nontraditional student and I would like to know what others in similar situations are doing or have done. Basically, I am a 25 year old female. I just graduated with my BA in psychology. I took BIO 1 and 2 during my undergrad but got C's. It was in-between giving birth to my daughter, taking my psych classes, and going through some family issues. Anyway, my heart has been set on becoming a physician, so I began shadowing a DO, volunteering, and joining pre-med clubs. However, i decided that I should graduate with my BA, and then decide what to do. I have been debating wether a career as a clinical psychologist would be a good fit vs. medical school, because I still have to take my pre-reqs for med school, and I basically bombed the Bio's. It's really hard to admit this because I love the sciences and I wish I had all the time in the world to study and do well, but I am a mother of a two year old with my son due now in July! My school offers a Post-Bacc Certificate for Premeds so I have been debating wether to apply. I have a 3.0 in my undergrad. I had a 3.8 and when I took the Bios and Stats, it went down to a 3.0. I am not even sure if a Post-Bacc would help me get into medical school, even if I perform well, do research, and shadow! There are also Masters after the Post-Bacc or getting another BA in Biology, or something else that would benefit my application but I am not sure what to do, and getting more loans makes me uneasy, but I will do whatever it takes. Is there anyone who has had this similar situation, and what have you done to overcome these obstacles? Also, would getting a job in a hospital aid my application, or should I stick to research? My husband is extremely supportive and has worked so I could go to school and take care of our daughter, but if I can assist financially and build a good resume, I would like to get a job that could benefit my education and my family.
Please help 🙂 Thanks!
I have a few questions on being a nontraditional student and I would like to know what others in similar situations are doing or have done. Basically, I am a 25 year old female. I just graduated with my BA in psychology. I took BIO 1 and 2 during my undergrad but got C's. It was in-between giving birth to my daughter, taking my psych classes, and going through some family issues. Anyway, my heart has been set on becoming a physician, so I began shadowing a DO, volunteering, and joining pre-med clubs. However, i decided that I should graduate with my BA, and then decide what to do. I have been debating wether a career as a clinical psychologist would be a good fit vs. medical school, because I still have to take my pre-reqs for med school, and I basically bombed the Bio's. It's really hard to admit this because I love the sciences and I wish I had all the time in the world to study and do well, but I am a mother of a two year old with my son due now in July! My school offers a Post-Bacc Certificate for Premeds so I have been debating wether to apply. I have a 3.0 in my undergrad. I had a 3.8 and when I took the Bios and Stats, it went down to a 3.0. I am not even sure if a Post-Bacc would help me get into medical school, even if I perform well, do research, and shadow! There are also Masters after the Post-Bacc or getting another BA in Biology, or something else that would benefit my application but I am not sure what to do, and getting more loans makes me uneasy, but I will do whatever it takes. Is there anyone who has had this similar situation, and what have you done to overcome these obstacles? Also, would getting a job in a hospital aid my application, or should I stick to research? My husband is extremely supportive and has worked so I could go to school and take care of our daughter, but if I can assist financially and build a good resume, I would like to get a job that could benefit my education and my family.
Please help 🙂 Thanks!