Should I get my program director to call?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazymarket99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am an MS4 from Texas applying quite broadly, with Step 1 &2 at ~240 and high pass in most 3rd year clerkships. I think I have good rec letters and average personal statement. But, I haven't heard back from two Cali schools that I would like interviews at. Other ppl on this forum have gotten interviews. They are hard to get in touch with, but have told me about a month ago that spots were still being given. Should I ask my PD to call and get me an interview? Or keep waiting and refreshing my email every 5 minutes?

My rec letters came in a little late so this may have something to do with it...but idk why. These are schools I would strongly consider.

Members don't see this ad.

If your local PD has a relationship with them, an email from him verifying that you are truly interested in them might get you to the top of the stack for an interview. But this is a tool to be used sparingly.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I am an MS4 from Texas applying quite broadly, with Step 1 &2 at ~240 and high pass in most 3rd year clerkships. I think I have good rec letters and average personal statement. But, I haven't heard back from two Cali schools that I would like interviews at. Other ppl on this forum have gotten interviews. They are hard to get in touch with, but have told me about a month ago that spots were still being given. Should I ask my PD to call and get me an interview? Or keep waiting and refreshing my email every 5 minutes?

My rec letters came in a little late so this may have something to do with it...but idk why. These are schools I would strongly consider.

The most obvious question is, have YOU contacted these programs and shown your interest? Although you're a top applicant, these programs get hundreds of applications and it's hard to sort through them. I wound up writing the coordinator at the program I ultimately matched at stating my interest, my desire to practice in the area, and that I hoped they would consider granting me an interview. I gained 3+ interviews at programs that otherwise would have overlooked my application.

Reactions: 1 user
The most obvious question is, have YOU contacted these programs and shown your interest? Although you're a top applicant, these programs get hundreds of applications and it's hard to sort through them. I wound up writing the coordinator at the program I ultimately matched at stating my interest, my desire to practice in the area, and that I hoped they would consider granting me an interview. I gained 3+ interviews at programs that otherwise would have overlooked my application.

Thanks for everybody's advice. Yes, I have contacted them - phone and email (at least 3x). One has not responded via either...so I'm not sure if that school knows if I exist. The other, like I mentioned, just told me that they recorded my interest and were still giving out interviews (about 3 wks ago). Although I don't have any ties to the area, I guess I will just do what you said - say I'm really interested, would love to practice in the area, pretty please give me an interview.

Thanks for everybody's advice. Yes, I have contacted them - phone and email (at least 3x). One has not responded via either...so I'm not sure if that school knows if I exist. The other, like I mentioned, just told me that they recorded my interest and were still giving out interviews (about 3 wks ago). Although I don't have any ties to the area, I guess I will just do what you said - say I'm really interested, would love to practice in the area, pretty please give me an interview.
I would not attempt any more contact with them as you have already contacted them 3x. They have already told you that they have noted your interest in their program. Let them do their work and come to a decision. Contacting them any more will probably just push them to toss your name into the reject pile.

I would not attempt any more contact with them as you have already contacted them 3x. They have already told you that they have noted your interest in their program. Let them do their work and come to a decision. Contacting them any more will probably just push them to toss your name into the reject pile.

Sorry I should have been clear. For one program, I called twice (left voice messagges both times), wrote email once. No response either way. Another program, called once (no response), emailed once 1 mth ago (response saying ok thank you for interest). My concern is that they have given out all the waitlist spots. In that case, how can further contact hurt?

Sorry I should have been clear. For one program, I called twice (left voice messagges both times), wrote email once. No response either way. Another program, called once (no response), emailed once 1 mth ago (response saying ok thank you for interest). My concern is that they have given out all the waitlist spots. In that case, how can further contact hurt?
If the program is on the fence about offering you an interview vs. someone else and you keep pestering them, they will choose the other person.

If the program is on the fence about offering you an interview vs. someone else and you keep pestering them, they will choose the other person.
image.jpg

WHAT DO YOU MEAN WE SHOULDN'T KEEP CALLING!!!!!! THAT's JUST CRAZY TALK MISTER.

If your PD is willing to make the call, why the hell not? Pull out all the stops. The worst the program can do is say no.

Surprised to see so many people saying the opposite.

If your PD is willing to make the call, why the hell not? Pull out all the stops. The worst the program can do is say no.

Surprised to see so many people saying the opposite.
The point others are making is that pulling "out all the stops" is a balancing act, as you could hypothetically hurt your chances by chasing it too much. Just keep in mind the appearance of your contacts. Is it sincere interest, or does it come off as desperation? Even then, I think it's ok to err on the side of too much efforts, as PDs are human and like to know how much you have an interest in their program.

Try to give clear reasons why their program is really the one, such as family in the area, something special about their program that is perfect for your career focus, etc.

Try to give clear reasons why their program is really the one, such as family in the area, something special about their program that is perfect for your career focus, etc.
I'd also try to work in why you are the one for that particular program. It's great explaining to a PD why their program is so wonderful (flattery is nice and comforting) but it's also helpful to explain why you in particular are such a perfect fit for their program, particularly if it doesn't come across in your initial application.

I don't have any advice to give, but I thought I'd write to offer some solace from a fellow Texan MS4 in the same boat. I too applied broadly (3o programs across the south and west) and have similar metrics. California is the only state where I still have applications "pending" as well as the only state from which I received a rejection. I've chalked it up to what Psychotic said: those programs have more than enough local applicants with equivalent or better numbers and experience.

Guess the psych ethos is different. In IM, this was a total no-brainer (and the answer is a most emphatic YES).

There is a new Kaiser Psychiatry Residency Program in Southern California that is now accepting applications for July 2014 class. You can check out the website: http://residency.kp.org/scal/residency/psychiatry/

... California is the only state where I still have applications "pending" as well as the only state from which I received a rejection. I've chalked it up to what Psychotic said: those programs have more than enough local applicants with equivalent or better numbers and experience.

Yes and yes. And the out-of-state interviewees are very strong because CA is competitive to begin with and we have more than enough applicants.

Congrats to those who have invites at CA programs. I look forward to interviewing some of you as you make your way through my program... good luck!

Last edited:
An enthusiastic recommendation from your local PD describing your strong interest in a particular program can be helpful in separating you from other applicants of similar caliber.

Anything less than enthusiastic, and anything that does not describe a strong interest in a program is at best useless and at worst harmful. If you decide to do this, make sure you have a good enough relationship with the local PD that you can be confident of an enthusiastic endorsement, and that you meet personally with the PD in order to describe why these two particular programs are of interest to you.

If you just want 2 more interviews, I would say just sit tight and hope for the best.