Should I get these letters of recommendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hygge

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, if anyone could give me any advice on whether I should get these letters of rec for my committee packet, that would be great 🙂

1) A physician I shadowed for a few days agreed to write me a strong letter. I know in general you don't want to get a letter from a physician you shadowed, but half of my personal statement is about me watching him treat a very unique patient. I gained a lot of insight from the case, which I showed him in my personal statement, so I feel like he could talk about my traits that would make me a potentially good doctor.

2) I've been working for another doctor for about 3 months, but he said that since he hasn't known me for long enough, he can try to write a good letter, but more likely it'll turn out to be an okay letter. the reason I'm worried though is because on amcas I wrote the experience down as one of my most meaningful and a good chunk of my personal statement is about an experience I had at the clinic. so since it clearly looks like I value this experience, would it look bad if I didn't have a rec from this doctor?
 
Last edited:
Hi, if anyone could give me any advice on whether I should get these letters of rec for my committee packet, that would be great 🙂 so far, the ones I already got and including are two science, one non-science, and one lab mentor.

1) A physician I shadowed for a few days agreed to write me a strong letter. I know in general you don't want to get a letter from a physician you shadowed, but half of my personal statement is about me watching him treat a very unique patient. I gained a lot of insight from the case, which I showed him in my personal statement, so I feel like he could talk about my traits that would make me a potentially good doctor.

2) I've been working for another doctor for about 2 months as a medical assistant, but he said that since he hasn't known me for long enough, he can write me an okay letter, but not an outstanding one. also on amcas I wrote it as one of my most meaningful experiences.

1) can't hurt

2) Can hurt. Do not get a letter from someone who says "okay letter". I think I read somewhere that the most damning praise from a letter is "he is nice". These people should be singing your praise from a rooftop.
 
1) can't hurt

2) Can hurt. Do not get a letter from someone who says "okay letter". I think I read somewhere that the most damning praise from a letter is "he is nice". These people should be singing your praise from a rooftop.

Thanks for the reply 😀 I updated my situation #2, would you still recommend not getting a letter from the doctor?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
He still said it would be an okay letter. What do you think? And realistically if a doc you have worked with for three months can only write an okay letter how strong can a letter be from a doc you shadowed for a few days? I'm sure he wants his letter to be strong and he'll probably think it is strong but really?


Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app