Should I give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parttimebookworm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to DO schools this year knowing that my chances of getting in were quite slim (508 MCAT, 3.4 GPA). I have an upward trend but my second year was a disaster from start to finish due to some unfortunate family circumstances that dropped my GPA. I didn't even apply to OMSAS this year because I figured with my stats I was practically throwing $1000 down the drain.

I got on DO II but it was at Burrell and they withdrew it because of their own visa problems but otherwise I have heard nothing. I have applied to BU MAMS and I intend to apply to Master's programs in Canada.

However, I have four years of OSAP student debt and my family doesn't have a lot of money. Every time I do the calculations for doing medical school whether I stay in Canada or go to the US it seems insurmountable. My family is supportive but they cannot offer financial support beyond co-signing loans.

I have been informed that I am eligible to apply for a two-year BSN at my university. I'm considering taking it.

I've wanted to be a doctor my entire life but financially another 2 years of a Master's or SMP plus my OSAP plus medical school debt seems completely impossible. Plus, I have no guarantee that I would get in after two years and I would be back in the same position.

I'm so confused.

Members don't see this ad.

You need more years of undergrad, i.e. in a Bsn program or your same program, not a masters. Going to the US is a terrible choice if money is an issue. I didn't even apply for that very reason.

You need a better MCAT and a higher GPA, that's what you need to fix. Worry about the rest later, but I would not risk things on a US DO school if money is a concern. Getting a 3.9+ GPA in a bsn program would make a difference, and you'd need new MCAT. The masters would be useless at this point

You need more years of undergrad, i.e. in a Bsn program or your same program, not a masters. Going to the US is a terrible choice if money is an issue. I didn't even apply for that very reason.

You need a better MCAT and a higher GPA, that's what you need to fix. Worry about the rest later, but I would not risk things on a US DO school if money is a concern. Getting a 3.9+ GPA in a bsn program would make a difference, and you'd need new MCAT. The masters would be useless at this point

Thanks for the advice. I definitely planned on rewriting the MCAT if I ever applied again.

A BSN might be my best option for now. I'm not sure if the clinical courses would count for OMSAS but I can't find information either way. At least worst case scenario I can get a job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. I definitely planned on rewriting the MCAT if I ever applied again.

A BSN might be my best option for now. I'm not sure if the clinical courses would count for OMSAS but I can't find information either way. At least worst case scenario I can get a job.

I have to caution you about going into a BSN. I'm in a BScN right now, and it has its pros and cons. The pros are that you get to network with health care professionals, gain and learn clinical experience and skills, and nursing is a great career path in it's own right (there's NP, Nurse Anesthetist, and research and education options), but if you have no experience with nursing school it may not be the best option to increase your GPA. The questions you get asked on nursing tests involve a lot of critical thinking and are often highly subjective; questions where it really comes down to hoping you're interpreting the question the way the prof intended. You'll see a lot of nursing students complaining about questions where "all the answers are correct, pick the one that's the most correct". It's hard to explain, but if you leaf through an NCLEX practice book or look up practice questions online you'll get an idea. Of course, that doesn't mean it's impossible to boost your GPA in nursing school; if you look through that NCLEX book and find it easy, by all means go for it.

I spoke with an admissions advisor at MSUCOM, she told me that to really stand out among applicants you need DO-centered experience or knowledge. Shadow a DO (if there's one in your area), attend seminars on Osteopathic practice, read journals about osteopathic medicine, etc. You need to be able to show them on the interviews and personal statements that you really want to be a DO and you're not just going into it as an alternative to allopathic schools.

Last edited:
I spoke with an admissions advisor at MSUCOM, she told me that to really stand out among applicants you need DO-centered experience or knowledge. Shadow a DO (if there's one in your area), attend seminars on Osteopathic practice, read journals about osteopathic medicine, etc. You need to be able to show them on the interviews and personal statements that you really want to be a DO and you're not just going into it as an alternative to allopathic schools.

This was one of my big issues, I think. There's not really DOs in my area and since shadowing is not allowed in Canada I didn't really have any. I did work closely with doctors in my job so I did have a great reference letter but not a DO. I'm considering nursing just because it would offer a job if I decided not to go into medicine instead of being a perpetual student.

Nursing does seem challenging. I have tons of friends in my school's nursing program so I've seen exams and notes but they're quite similar to the type of questions we often get on our exams. I have no idea what the NCLEX looks like but the actual tests seem challenging but not impossible.

Thanks for the reply.

This was one of my big issues, I think. There's not really DOs in my area and since shadowing is not allowed in Canada I didn't really have any. I did work closely with doctors in my job so I did have a great reference letter but not a DO. I'm considering nursing just because it would offer a job if I decided not to go into medicine instead of being a perpetual student.

Nursing does seem challenging. I have tons of friends in my school's nursing program so I've seen exams and notes but they're quite similar to the type of questions we often get on our exams. I have no idea what the NCLEX looks like but the actual tests seem challenging but not impossible.

Thanks for the reply.
Have you gotten any other interview invites so far? How many DO schools did you apply to?

Do not sell yourself short. Your GPA and MCAT are both fine for DO schools. DO shadowing would be good but not necessary. I personally had no shadowing whatsoever and had a doctor in Canada wrote me a LoR as well. Despite this, I had several interview invites and am currently OMS-II. As your ultimate goal is physician, I would advise against nursing school. Special Master's program might be an option if you want to apply to USMD schools. At this point, Canadian schools are unlikely unless you are willing to do a second Bachelor's. Your best bet is DO schools, which you have the stats for it for sure.

Financially, it will be hard for sure since tuition in US schools is prohibitively expensive. However, give your supportive family who will most likely be able to co-sign loans from bank, you will be able to cover all of the cost of living if you live frugally for 4 years.

In short, DO school is a good option, and I would suggest waiting for more interview invites throughout the year (it's still early in the cycle for DO schools). Do not go into nursing school now as you will just be accruing more debt for very minimal return. Instead, find a job and start working. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, could be a clinical research assistant with pretty good hours, networking opportunities, and decent pay.

I haven't gotten any II. I've gotten 3 rejections and a pre-interview waitlist from AZCOM. I've also applied to two SMPs. I'm trying to keep my options open right now.

I haven't gotten any II. I've gotten 3 rejections and a pre-interview waitlist from AZCOM. I've also applied to two SMPs. I'm trying to keep my options open right now.
With your stats, it is quite bizarre that you've gotten rejections already. For your personal statement and secondary essays, did you focus on each school's mission statements? DO schools are quite anal about selecting individuals who want to do primary care, especially those who have shadowed family physicians (if a DO, even better). I would seriously consider having someone go over your applications with you, since while your GPA is on the low end, your MCAT is decent.

With your stats, it is quite bizarre that you've gotten rejections already. For your personal statement and secondary essays, did you focus on each school's mission statements? DO schools are quite anal about selecting individuals who want to do primary care, especially those who have shadowed family physicians (if a DO, even better). I would seriously consider having someone go over your applications with you, since while your GPA is on the low end, your MCAT is decent.

I have a family friend who is in her last year at UNECOM and she read over all of secondaries and my personal statement. I guess I did technically get an II but it was at Burrell and they're having Sevis issues so they withdrew my application.