Should I give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kal Gall

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if I still have a shot at med school. Starting from the beginning, I had a really good freshman year. Sophomore year I had several family problems and ended up failing three classes plus failing a retake. I retook the rest junior year and have gotten A's and a couple B's since. My plan was to go DO and utilise grade replacement but now with them not using it anymore idk if I stand a chance. GPA without grade replacement is about a 3.4. With grade replacement 3.6. My MCAT is 517. Extracurriculars: one year of volunteer work with disabled students at my university, a semester of being a TA for bio, a research journal article, and 2.5 years of being a scribe in the ED.

Also, I come from a disadvantaged background. I was emancipated at age 16. This is what added to my family issues during my sophomore year. I will be applying as disadvantaged. I'm not sure if that makes a difference but I thought I would mention it.

Please let me know what you think and be honest! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if I still have a shot at med school. Starting from the beginning, I had a really good freshman year. Sophomore year I had several family problems and ended up failing three classes plus failing a retake. I retook the rest junior year and have gotten A's and a couple B's since. My plan was to go DO and utilise grade replacement but now with them not using it anymore idk if I stand a chance. GPA without grade replacement is about a 3.4. With grade replacement 3.6. My MCAT is 517. Extracurriculars: one year of volunteer work with disabled students at my university, a semester of being a TA for bio, a research journal article, and 2.5 years of being a scribe in the ED.

Also, I come from a disadvantaged background. I was emancipated at age 16. This is what added to my family issues during my sophomore year. I will be applying as disadvantaged. I'm not sure if that makes a difference but I thought I would mention it.

You're totally fine, seriously.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

You're fine for any DO school that doesn't have a significant OOS bias as well as a fair number of MD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply. I'm just worried about the F's. Especially the class that I had to retake twice.

That MCAT, those extracurriculars, that upward trend, there is plenty of reason for them to believe that you aren't the same student anymore who failed those classes. And that you have likely learn from the experience , plus you show caring towards disadvantaged people and you have work experience. Apply MD and DO for sure

That MCAT, those extracurriculars, that upward trend, there is plenty of reason for them to believe that you aren't the same student anymore who failed those classes. And that you have likely learn from the experience , plus you show caring towards disadvantaged people and you have work experience. Apply MD and DO for sure

You really think I have a shot at MD? I thought for sure I was just sticking with DO due to my GPA.

You are below the average GPA and significantly above the average MCAT, that won't open doors at every school, but considering you are pretty well-rounded, assuming you can get some good letters of recommendation as well , I think you have a real decent shot shot if you applied broadly. Not saying I think you shouldn't apply do, I just think it would increase your chances if you apply to both and it wouldn't surprise me at all if you got into an MD School with a 517, 3.4 with an upward trend and good EC'S. But maybe wait to see what other people's opinions are, just my thoughts.

You didn't have to cross post, lol. I'm just here to echo what you've been told on both threads. DO, absolutely. MD, absolutely, with a well crafted school list (as stated by, Goro).

Status
Not open for further replies.