Should I give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks electra

...and medic...I do have a back up plan. Thanks for your concern.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey akerstet2002,

I would love to tell you but my friend spent 4 years concealing this fact. I went out on a limb posting the story.

What I can tell you is that he had to do a probation year. (Some MD schools call it a GEMS program or something to that effect)

This is the case with some of the DO and MD schools. I believe its called MSsomething or other. At NSU-COM there are 234 MS1 but about 20 of them did their coursework the year before. Now they will start and graduate with us. I guess the school uses this to allow students that have potential but did not quite make the cut.

I have a friend who is doing something like this in the summer only (At Howard University) and another firend who had to do a probation year at BU. There are many options if you care to put yourself out there and go for it. If you want you'll get it trust me!

Good Luck,
beakerbetty

hi beakerbetty,

this special "probation" year you're talking about...do you know of any allopathic schools that have this? i'm on a couple of waitlists this year, and would rather do something like that than have to go through the entire application process again.

Hey CitiIvy,

The schools that I know of are Howard University, Boston University, MSU (I believe both DO & MD). NSU-COM, Meharry, GW, I think Washington University but not too sure.

You will know because they will offer it to you in lieu of letting you in this year. My girlfriend who did it at BU was rejected by the school and then contacted to do this extra year. It all depends. I wish I could give you more details but since I have not been personally approached to do this I can't say what the procedures are nor which schools offer it. You might want to contact the schools you applied to and find out if they offer this option. I don't think that you can actually ask to participate in this option but perhaps it might help to know which schools offer this or not just in case you do have to apply all over again (I'm praying that you don't)

Good luck and keep your chin up ;)
beakerbetty