1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Should I give up?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by jean2117, Aug 6, 2006.

1. jean2117

jean2117 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I know you guys hate threads like these, but I desperately need some advice! I have a 3.9 overall and 3.8 science GPAs, but I only got a 23O on the April MCAT. Do I still have a shot of getting into a DO school even through my MCAT score is below the usually accepted range or should I look for alternative career choices? Thanks in advance for everyone's advice.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Wackie

Wackie Inappropriate, always
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Study harder and retake the MCAT

4. Mye Eye

Mye Eye Ophtho Cookie Eater
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i agree...those grades are solid...show that you can do the MCAT by retaking it and getting it near or above 30 and you will be GOLDEN...they'll see your 23 as a one-time "whoopsie"

5. jean2117

jean2117 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am not going to be retaking the MCAT this August, but I would like to apply to osteopathic schools this application cycle. Would this be a bad idea?

6. JasonUD

JasonUD PGY-I
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

I got in with a lower MCAT and lower GPA

7. Kuba

Physician 10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    apply broadly, with everything else solid I think you have a decent shot of landing interviews.

8. Kuba

MDApps:
    Attending Physician
    I'll trade you a few MCAT points for a coulple of grade points... PM me if you want to trade.

9. jean2117

jean2117 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Haha I would love to do that! Let me know a time that works best for you! Thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it.

10. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I would still apply. IMO your course grades are more important than MCATs. Many admissions reps feel the same way. Good luck

11. cbenedic

cbenedic Wolverine for life
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i got in tucom with a 23..and i had a lower gpa than u. :oops: definitely apply, your application is based on more than your scores...if you have time and want to give the mcat another shot, go for it...otherwise never let scores determine who you are as an applicant..good luck!

12. CatsandCradles

CatsandCradles SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    Yes, I'll also give you a few of my MCAT points for a few of your GPA.

If you would like to trade me, please private message me too!

But to the original poster, Jean2117, apply to many schools. That is the key. And apply early. Hurry up and get those secondaries done fast as people are starting to get them in already.

Don't let a 23 get you down. Just apply, after all, you do have a 3.9 GPA. :luck: :thumbup:

13. BMW19

BMW19 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Jean,

apply to the newer schools.

BMW-

14. mdille2

mdille2 Mom of 5
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I PM'd you.
    Marcia

15. stretch210

stretch210 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Apply to several schools, you will get several interviews, and if you interview well, you will have choices...by the way you don't ONLY have to apply to newer schools (which by the way not all newer schools have lower average MCAT admissions, that I know for a fact), you will get interviews all over as long as the rest of your application is strong (non-academic).

Worst comes to worse you don't get in, and you retake MCAT...but if you apply early I don't think you will have to. Apply now!

16. Futuredoctr

Futuredoctr Member
    7+ Year Member

I know that this is probably going to be read wrong, but please try to see my point. When push comes to shove, and at the end of the day, giving up is your decision, not the admissions committee's, your parent's, or your spouses, YOURS. So if you want to give up because of one measly test, then do so, but don't, not give up because of what everyone says, you'll be unhappy forever knowing it wasn't your decision. Should you decide based off what everyone else has to say to not give up and you get lucky and get in, whats going to happen when it really matters ( i.e, on a surgical table) and your the one operating? Will then be the time that you really needed everyone, but because there not there you give up. Sure thats a stretch, but I think you get my point.

17. fitnessexpert

fitnessexpert Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I was chatting with an admissions counselor and he said that for osteopathic schools the MCAT is important but not the "end all." They like to see that you can take a standardized test (i.e. much like COMPLEX) and get a score above 23. They have blah blah blah statistics that say if you get a 23 and above you have a much higher rate of passing your boards. They don't want their passing rates to go down because that doesn't look good for the school.

P.S. Futuredoctr has a great point!

18. BMW19

BMW19 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Lets not get crazy with the scare tactics. Are you saying that if you get a 23 on the MCAT then you will kill people in the operating room?! That is quite a stretch. The best pediatricians in my home town (rated by "Top Doctors in U.S. news) went to med school in Gudalaharra and prob. did not do too well on the MCAT I assume.

BMW-

19. DOin it

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    i would also have to agree that the MCAT is not the end all and that it most definitely does not insure that you will be a great doctor. there are a lot of smart people out there that are horrible doctors and viceversa. i have spoken with numerous friends who are currently osteo students and one in particular gave me some great advice:

"DO schools are becoming increasingly competitive because they care more about a persons heart, pikeville for example has some of the lowest mcat scores, but they have the highest pass rate for the boards...it just goes to show you that it's not all about your brains."

and i would most definitely have to agree with this; being a great doctor is weighted on your desire to succeed and reach your goals. low mcat scores aren't going to stop you from getting into med school, if you want it badly enough.

20. Futuredoctr

Futuredoctr Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm afraid BMW that you did exactly as I said you would, misread my point. I did not at all come close to equating a 23 on the MCAT to killing people in surgery. Please re-read my point.

21. Hardbody

Hardbody Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Definitely apply this year. If you don't get in next year you will be able to take a shortened MCAT on your own terms (more dates to take the test). Never give up, gotta have heart if you want to make it.

22. BMW19

BMW19 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    "Should you decide based off what everyone else has to say to not give up and you get lucky and get in, whats going to happen when it really matters ( i.e, on a surgical table) and your the one operating? Will then be the time that you really needed everyone, but because there not there you give up. Sure thats a stretch, but I think you get my point."

Unfortunately, Futuredoc I think that is the ONLY way one can interpret this statement that you made above. The way it reads is that if she listens to everyone and doesn't give up, then one day if she becomes a surgeon will she just give up on the operating table because no one else is there to push her along? Sounds pretty clear cut to me. Care to elaborate on your statements?

BMW-

23. Futuredoctr

Futuredoctr Member
    7+ Year Member

Sure...I sure as heck don't want a physician who gave up because of score on one measly test. I'm equating with crying about giving up now with giving up when it really matters, NOT with a bad MCAT score. I didn't do as well as I had hoped on the MCAT, and I don't think I'll give up when times get hard. I also said that it was a stretch, but the principle can be applied elsewhere, like wasting the time and effort of fellow collegues (students, professors, ect...) if your ultimatly going to give up.

24. kaikai128

kaikai128 Yes SIR. ;-)
    5+ Year Member

I didn't read that statement like that at all. Not even close.

I read it as...

...you can't let other people make the decision for you. You have to make the decision for yourself. This is YOUR future. You can't depend on other people when you will be in the operating room...so why now? If YOU want to do it, do it...if you don't...don't...but don't depend on what everyone else says.

One of my friends lives by the motto, "How Bad You Want It?" I think maybe you should ask yourself the same question. How bad do you want medical school?

25. BMW19

BMW19 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am sure that if she made it to the status of being a surgeon after a 6-8 year residency she would not give up on the operating table. I see what you were trying to say but it was a bit drastic.

The OP was simply trying to be realistic if she should waste her time with that score if she would certainly get rejected everywhere. She may not have the knowledge of the process that some of us who have been thru it have and know that you can get in with that score. Therefore, we should simply address her post with facts. JUST THE FACTS MAM!

BMW-

26. stretch210

stretch210 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

We have gotten off the OP's question a little...

To the OP: apply early...you will get interviews! Then it's up to you. And if asked about your MCAT, tell them it will not be an impediment to you becoming a great physician, be confident.

27. snowkhat

snowkhat Member
    Physician Faculty 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    What the heck apply! You do have an awesome gpa! Make sure your apps. are flawless. Try not to dwell on the mcat so much....although it opens doors, it's not the end all, win all (or lose all). Apply to many schools and see what happens. :luck:

28. MD-To Be

MD-To Be Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

What? You are willing to throw in the towel with a 3.8 science GPA and a 23 on the MCAT? First off, make sure this is absolutely what you want to do. If it was, I wouldn't think you would be so quick to even consider choosing another field so easily.

You can get into an Osteopathic school with the grades fairly easily. You can also get into an allopathic school with those grades also b/c MCAT averages for schools are just that, they are averages and they do accept people above AND below those averages.

BTW, what are you ECs?

29. bkpa2med

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    MD-To Be,
    Nicely said. I think people tend to forget what an average means. It's at the 50th percentile meaning HALF of the people got in with lower and HALF got in with higher MCAT or GPA.

30. Hardbody

Hardbody Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Tell that to all those crazy allo pre-meds that get upset when they get less than a 38 on a practice MCAT. Half of those kids probably become suicidal if they score less than a 38 on a practice test, I can't imagine what they would do if they scored lower than that on a real test :eek: !

31. dr.z

Resident [Any Field]
    I think you'll still have chance with DO schools. Go ahead and apply this year.

32. jean2117

jean2117 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    My ECs include:
    emergency room volunteer, hospice volunteer, did some volunteer work with Special Olympics, shadowed a few physicians, participate in several university student organizations, did research this summer

33. stinkywinky

stinkywinky Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Don't be silly! Apply!!--Your GPA is fantastic!

34. mjc48

mjc48 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    i love how these threads always get hijacked by the "high mcat doesn't equal good doctor" conversations. the OP didn't ask if a 23O would make them a terrible doctor, just if they'd be competitive for admission somewhere in the next cycle. which noone knows. not until you try. which you should. my guess, you'll get in somewhere. my advice? apply every where and do it soon.

35. verizonsucks25

verizonsucks25 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    you do have high gpa but average mcat for DO school. You should be fine. I dont recommend applying to MD school.

36. LINYKid

LINYKid Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    couldnt agree more

37. RAD11

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Never ever give up!

38. clc8503

clc8503 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

The OP does not need to get close to a 30 on the MCAT to get into DO school. It would indeed make the applicant golden but is by no means necessary to bag a few interviews. Especially, with those grades! I think that anything above 25 would allow for a lot of interviews, combined with his or her high GPA. The OP might even be able to get a few interviews with his or her current stats. I’ve seen people do it. Some schools are averaging MCAT scores of 24 for successful applicants. According to PCOM’s website, they average a 24. If the OP were applying to MD programs, he or she would need close to a 30. What you are suggesting would be competitive for some very distinguishable MD programs (3.9cum, 3.8 science, 30ish MCAT), but you are right, it would make the applicant golden.

To the OP: Go ahead and apply to some of the newer DO programs. The worst that can happen is you'll get rejected and have to apply again next year, hopefully with a higher MCAT score. The only way you can know for sure is to apply.