Should I Give Up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

ConcreteJungle

Hello there fellow US citizens,

I just wanted an opinion, or a piece of advice as to what I should do regarding my first year in university. My situation is, I really dislike the sciences, no seriously, I do! Every time I keep on studying and etc. my brain boils and it does not want to keep the information intact. My grades are a "Meh." Competition-wise I am not all that great, just about average -- shadowing a dentist, volunteering, and joined a few clubs BUT my grades is a big whoopie goldberg (cGPA 3.0) thus far.

So I was wondering, how was your first year like? And did you excel after first year or did you spiral down towards a hell-hole?

Basically, what I am trying to say is, should I be worried...? ? ? ! ? @_@ ?

P.S. I'm not being a troll and also, that guy named Countach, don't respond to me, keep it to yourself... I don't like you.

Peace.

Members don't see this ad.

I just wanted an opinion, or a piece of advice as to what I should do regarding my first year in university. My situation is, I really dislike the sciences, no seriously, I do! Every time I keep on studying and etc. my brain boils and it does not want to keep the information intact. My grades are a "Meh." Competition-wise I am not all that great, just about average -- shadowing a dentist, volunteering, and joined a few clubs BUT my grades is a big whoopie goldberg (cGPA 3.0) thus far.

So I was wondering, how was your first year like? And did you excel after first year or did you spiral down towards a hell-hole?

P.S. I'm not being a troll and also, that guy named Countach, don't respond to me, keep it to yourself... I don't like you.

Peace.

Look like you have a mental barrier refraining you from properly storing the information. Use different study techniques.

hey buddy dont give up yet. my first year in underground i finished the year with a 2.9 gpa. I was thinking the same as you, shoud i give up or stick it out? I stuck it out and honestly after feshmen year things got easier. I finished college with 3.35 gpa, not that great but good enough to get into some schools hopefully. I am applying this cycle and hopefully will get in somewhere, if not, ill apply nexy cycle. As long as you can score good on the Dat you will be fine its not just all about gpa. Is not easy but if you put the work in you can do it. Good luck and dont give up yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you really dislike the sciences, there's no way you'll make it through all of the pre-reqs AND the science courses you take in dental school.

Peace.

never give up!!! U can retake those classes and enhance your GPA or do research, master to make your background better. Mirracle can happen ^^ Good luck !

Peace.

What do you mean by "I really dislike the sciences"? Dentistry is all about science and some about manual dexterity. It's not like you are going to just dig patients' teeth for gold. You should either find a way to enjoy those science courses at least a lil bit (to be ok with them), or you will never be able to go through 4 years of undergrad + 4 years of dental school by having such hate for sciences.

P.S. Congrats to Contach by the way. His notorious reputation is rising everyday.

Don't give up if it's the case that you like the sciences and are just not studying well. Reconsider if you truly find it tedious, boring and can't eke out even a little bit of interest for what you are studying. Dentistry is a medical field which by definition involved a lot of sciences. If you find that you hate science (and not just studying, but like actually don't find any of it interesting at ALL) it might not be the career for you.

Rawr! Give up! Look at me flex my muscles! You will never equal me!

-Countach

If you really dislike the sciences, there's no way you'll make it through all of the pre-reqs AND the science courses you take in dental school.

not true. I hated science fresh year, gained respect for it soph year, began to actually kinda like it jr year, and now i love a lot of it.

I pretty much hated all science classes until my senior year of high school when I did really well in one (anatomy). I kind of enjoyed dissecting and learning the bones/muscles/etc., and I enjoyed doing better than other people at something. I based my decision to continue the d-school dream on that one class, and I have hated all 4 years of ugrad b/c I am not at all interested in my major (molecular biology). Chemistry, physics, and most of my bio classes are mostly hard to study b/c the material is boring to me. Somehow I managed to keep a 3.7 cum and 3.5 science GPA until after getting accepted to d-school (I took a lot of extra credit hours in extra classes outside my major). My grades this semester and last will probably bring me down to a 3.2 GPA at graduation. I saved some pretty rough classes for my senior year, and now I'm getting B's and C's.

Anyway the point of my rant is that you don't have to like science, you just have to find a study technique that fits you and WORK HARD! . . .and keep your GPA up. You don't have to like molecular bio, organic chemistry, or physics to love dentistry:)

Hey,

I wanted to thank everyone for the responses!

-DrReo: I think you pretty much pin-pointed my weakness as I don't have a good study technique and will be changing it tonight (I have a few in mind). I got my room re-organized and everything! Lol.

-DRfej: Thanks for the kind words. I hope you get accepted to dental school for the coming application cycle.

-AFDentgirl & Jessi4eve: I know you have a point towards the "hate" for sciences and not being able to go through 3-more years of Undergrad/ 4-yrs of Dent. School. It's just the mental capacity and strength required for me to get in A in such classes sometimes upset me and thats when I become angry and have the hatred for such science courses, etc.

"It's not like you are going to just dig patients' teeth for gold."

... well, that's what I was expecting. :D:rolleyes: Haha.

-pinkypinky2013: Yeah! I'll never give up and I might do a Masters in Chemistry before I go to Dent. School anyways... maybe.

-annaty: I like you.

-Countach:

"Rawr! Give up! Look at me flex my muscles! You will never equal me!"

I couldn't stop laughing at that... and I realized that his name is contach. I used a lowercase "c" because he doesn't deserve my respect!!!

-chober: You need a hug.

-Flossy13: Hopefully the same will workout with me.

-blondiegurlkg: Free hug? No negotiations, its either a Yes or Yes.

Peace.

I am not a fan of Chemistry classes. I withdrew from Gen chem classes on 2 different occasions before actually completing the course. Chemistry just got worse and worse until I reached O'chem. It got better for a time and them got really difficult. I finally made it through all of my classes and have a 3.89 GPA. I am not going to lie. The pre-requisites are CRAP, they just get progressively worse each year, but you learn to handle them better.

Its all about how much time you are willing to dedicate to studying. You need to learn how you retain information. You can do it, but its going to take effort. Spend more time at school studying, rather than doing it at home. It is much more effective to do homework with the school tutors, they are free and can help you when you get stuck and are frustrated. Also check out your professors on http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ prior to enrolling to the class. If there is one thing that I have learned its that the professor plays a HUGE part on whether or not the information is understandable.

A dentist once told me that getting into Dental school is a RAT Race. Stay determined and don't give up even when you are discouraged, keep plugging along and you will get there. Even if you have to take the DAT 3 times and apply again and again. Eventually you will get accepted somewhere. Go to dental school because you love the field, not because you want to be a rich doctor. It can be very rewarding if you do it for the right reasons.

Good luck!!!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't give up!!! my first year I finished with a 2.4. I finished my undergrad with a 3.46. Even pulled a 4.0 at one semester!!! Change your study habit and STUDY WITH A GROUP!!! a smart and competitive group I might add. That's what fired me up. I just didn't want to lose to my peers in the same class.

P.S. I'm not being a troll and also,

Hey,

-pinkypinky2013: Yeah! I'll never give up and I might do a Masters in Chemistry before I go to Dent. School anyways... maybe.

You are a freshman- check
You hate sciences- check
You are not on a trolling mission- check
You are contemplating doing a MS in Chemistry- check
Your gpa is ~3.0- check
You are an international student- check
Your determination is absolute- check

I hear ya man. But I think, you need to take some time to really change your mind set on science subjects. As dental school's first two year are pretty science intensive, if you don't like it now, you probably will hate the world for going to dental school.

List out the reasons that make you want to become a dentist, then compare it to other options you would like to do. Evaluate it and do it! Good luck!

Peace.

If you're still interested or passionate in dentistry but the sciences have you worried I have the following suggestion:

In the tedious process of becoming a professional, dentist, physician, etc, you will encounter many "what the hell am I doing" fears and reservations. This road isn't meant to be easy or every other shlep you see on the street would have a Dr. before their last name too.

I'm not a huge fan of the sciences either, but stay motivated on the final goal and be aware of your fears and you will weave your way through it. The longer the wait and harder the journey... the sweeter the finish.

I'm not a huge fan of the sciences either, but stay motivated on the final goal and be aware of your fears and you will weave your way through it. The longer the wait and harder the journey... the sweeter the finish.[/quote]

Very humble of you bro.

if youre not a fan of the sciences, how can you take ~8 more years of it? esp. at the level of detail you need in dschool.

lol about the contach comment, he does come off as quite pretentious.

and doc_toothache is too funny

I'll answer your question with a question & then you can answer it yourself. If You don't like science, why are you looking to be in the field?

I'm not even good at science either. Just do it, and eventually something will happen.

I'll answer your question with a question & then you can answer it yourself. If You don't like science, why are you looking to be in the field?

I know this wasn't directed to me. . .but here's my answer :)

These are the science classes I'm in right now and what I'm learning:

Molecular Bio: heterochromic vs euchromic DNA location and function , how to do random lab stuff like BLAST, PCR, and gels :smack:

Microbio: how to stain gram negative bacteria slides

Neurobio: I memorize a TON of stuff but mostly brain anatomy/physiology

Senior Seminar/Molecular Bio Degree Capstone Course: how to write a resume :thumbdown:

I don't particularly have an interest in all that random crap, but at work tomorrow before class I will help the doctor clean teeth, get people out of excruciating pain, and/or give them beautiful smiles (much more fun!) Sure, science helped develop the techniques and materials a dentist uses, but there is no relationship between what I learn in class and what the doctor does all day (maybe a business/art major would be closer. . .)

Don't worry just yet, it is not to late by far. I finished my first college semester with a 2.5 gpa, and luckily have been accepted to dental school this year. As far as your dislike of science, I hope that it is more apathy than hate at this point in your collegiate career. As you progress to higher level courses it will become more interesting; at this point you are merely trying to build a foundation upon which a science education can be erected. But if you continue to dislike science as time passes, dentistry may not be the best field for you. This would be the equivalant of a mechanic stating that he hates to learn about the combustion engine. Science is inately part of healthcare, that is why so many science people are drawn to it.

You are a freshman- check
You hate sciences (no not really, just lacking interest in the intro courses)- check
You are not on a trolling mission (only a troll would write a checklist)- check
You are contemplating doing a MS inChemistry (probably not)- check
Your gpa is ~3.0 (it's actually 3.325, I just said, "3.0" because I was too lazy to add in a few numbers and a decimal as well.)- check
You are an international student (What's the difference to private schools? Nothing)- check
Your determination is absolute (my milkshake is better than yours)- check

My response to the above quote in bold.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

Not to be rude but since you asked the question I'm going to give you my opinion. Give up. Don't even think twice about it. If you can't hack science classes in undergraduate how the hell do you think you are going to make it through dental school.

Give up and leave more patients for me

If you are worried about GPA, take more classes to inc GPA. There is no reason to give up. If it takes 2 yrs to inc GPA, do it cuz that's what I am doing (I will end up staying as undergraduate for 6~7 yrs)

Peace.

My advice would be mainly the same as previously stated. You need to revise your study technique. I know that throughout my college career my studies have changed drastically. I started out using flash cards, and now I haven't used a single flash card for two years. I also think study style really depends on the material you are trying to learn. For example, for bio flash cards may be the way to go (a lot of terms and other info that just needs to be memorized). Yet, for chem I would advise working problems, if this applies, and going over the text book in an effort to learn the major ideas behind these topics. I would also advise that you might want to form a study group with some of your friends. In my undergrade we had a lot of "workshops" where the students would learn from somebody who had previously taken that class (this was very valuable for me). Finally, I would say that once you find a good study technique you will than need to just add in the time needed to be successful. I have never been one of the best “natural students”, but I compete with these individuals by putting in more time than they do.

As for whether you should be worried or not, I tend to say be a little worried (and I don't mean this in a negative manor). What I mean is that this "concern" (which you have already demonstrated) can be a huge motivating force to keep your GPA up. I personally had a few minor set backs early on, failed a few quizzes and even came close to failing a few tests, but these experiences helped to motivate me to work even harder. So use this concern as a motivation to study extra hard so that you can get the grades that will get into dental school.

Best of luck to you, and I hope this helps at least a little.

Lol, I'm so confused by everything that happened in this thread....

I had to go through ConcreteJungle's history to see if I ever offended you. I found that I have never even replied to any of your muscles.

I figured out for the first time that I have a fan: countach and s/he admires ronnie coleman as much as I do.. I wonder why s/he was banned. But I'm hoping it's a she..... (you have a better shot)

And my username is based off the Lambourghini Countach.. unfortunately I spelt it wrong about 10 years ago, and since then I've used the misspelt username often and frequently.

man i have a 3.03 and a 3.13 science gpa, applied to 31 schools not one interview. just gotta keep doing more classes to get it up, make sure once your graduate just keep taking classes, youll eventually get in just gotta show that you are concentrated now son.