should i give up..?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarah1001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
gpa 2.8
sgpa 2.5

i know it's horrible..do you think there is no chance even if I get >23 on dat?
Please give me some advices guys...:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

This is all my opinion.. BUT......

Never give up :)

You can do it... but you need to raise those GPA first. This may take 1-2 years. If you really want it badly, you can do it by doing the following.

Do a post bacc or a master's program and excel in all your classes.
When you get your GPA situated, study your butt off for the DAT and do well on it :)

Then apply.

If you want it bad enough, there's always a chance. But keep in mind, it's going to be a very tough uphill journey for you. You will have to ask yourself if becoming a dentist is what you REALLY want to be and nothing else will really satisfy your professional goals. Your conviction in becoming a dentist will be very important in staying the course and doing well in what will likely be a 2 year post-bacc study to pull your 2.5 sgpa up to at least a 3.0. Then, nail your DAT and apply. If you don't get in your first time, try again. Maybe do a masters the second time around. Bottom line is: don't give up if this is your dream.

Members don't see this ad :)
gpa 2.8
sgpa 2.5

Sarah,

I think you should call some schools and make appointment with the dean to go over your application. They will tell you what you need to do.

You need to be in school full time this Fall and earn A's. If its not too late, enroll in at least one summer class. Figure out how many hours you need to take to have a 3.0 overall and science GPA. It can be done if you are willing to work for it. And yes, you need to do well on the DAT because even a 3.0 is not competitive, but an upward trend will help.

Sarah,

I think you should call some schools and make appointment with the dean to go over your application. They will tell you what you need to do.

I agree with wizi. It would be to your advantage to get in touch with potential Dental schools and ask them about your application. I myself am starting an SMP in the Fall to make up for past mistakes. Look into one of those if its not too late or even consider doing post-bacc course study. It does not even have to be a formal post bacc. Leave behind all of the bad study habits you had in undergrad, and all of the things that distracted you and focus on your future 100%.

I have a cousin who just graduated dental school and his friend was accepted to detroit mercy with around a 3.0 (this way 3-4 years ago). Still, never give up.

I think your best bet is plan B: get a Masters and reapply after that.

gpa 2.8
sgpa 2.5

If you really think that the dentistry is for you then NEVER EVER GIVE UP
Yes, it will take heck of a work but if you can make it, it will be a really good confidence builder before matriculate into dental school.

It also depends on what is your undergraduate major is. I had GPA in 3.0<x<3.5 range (not competitive enough) in Mechanical Engineering but I took all the pre-req in post-bacc and have GPA of 3.98 and I have found science to be much more fascinating!! It is all about your drive and dedication.

If you are not bio major then you should do post-bacc to take all the pre-req + upper level bio classes but if you are bio major then you should do SMP or master program to show admission that you can handle graduate level science courses and that you have changed your life.

Well good luck with everything!!

Do you think that's really necessary? Obviously her GPA is so low that it overshadows anything else. That seems like a total waste of time. Instead of making all these appointments, in which they're just going to tell you that you need to raise your GPA, why not use that time to study for your classes so you can starting raising your GPA?

lol I dont know what are you talking about because you are not making any sense.

Do you think calling the dean and ask for their advice is a waste of time? The OP needs to raise her GPA for sure but I am sure that she also has other questions such as should she go for master, postbac, what master's program, what the adcom needs her to do specifically beside raising her GPA....

How long does it take to make appointments? Prob 15 minutes...

You know what, i don't want to talk about this with you because its a totally waste of time.

My opinion stays the same, call schools and ask for their advice. They are nice people and willing to help.

like others have said, if you want it bad enough, you can attain it. But it will take a lot of money, hard work, a few more years of your time and you might have a shot at it. But it gets more competitive every year. If you want it bad enough, you will have to sacrifice a lot.. but what's life without a little risk?

It isn't very easy for DS1s to get a sit down meeting with a DEAN....