Should I go for a post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J82698

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, so here's my situation. I'm currently only shooting for DO as I'm more than aware that my chances at a US MD program is nil. I'm on the fence on pursuing a GPA bolstering post-bacc, and would like some advice.

Major: Chemistry
cGPA: 3.26
sGPA: 3.17
**Both include grade replacement**
Planning on applying for Fall 2016 entry year.

Pre-reqs:

General Chemistry I: A-
General Chemistry II: A-
General Chemistry III: A
General Chemistry Lab I: B+
General Chemistry Lab II: C+
General Chemistry Lab III: B

Physics I: B
Physics II: A-
Physics III: B+
Physics Lab I: A-
Physics Lab II: B
Physics Lab III: B

Organic Chemistry I: B
Organic Chemistry II: A- (Retaken after C+)
Organic Chemistry III: B (Retaken after C)
Organic Chemistry Lab I: A-
Organic Chemistry Lab II: B (Only 2 terms are necessary for pre-meds at my school)

Biology I: B-
Biology II: A
Biology III: B (Lab included in all 3)

Potential red flags:
1) Very inconsistent grade trend, which goes as follows:
Y1: 3.33 (includes some college classes taken in high school)
Y2: 3.45
Y3: 3.44
Y4: 2.67
Y5: 2.77
Y6: 3.36
There's 6 years because I switched majors to Chemistry my Junior year from Music. As you can see, Y4 and Y5 were awful, really due to my lack of motivation and effort. It wasn't a good time, that's for sure.

2) 3 W's on my transcript, two from Diff Eq. (eventually passed with a B)

3) One C- that I can't retake (not offered anymore at my school) in a science course and a few C's in Physical Chemistry.

4) I didn't have a particularly heavy course load during Y4 and Y5, though I was slowly pulling out of the rut by the end of Y5. I really messed up those two years, and am paying the price now.

I'm taking the MCAT Nov. 7th and have already begun preparations for it.

If I'm not picky about where I go (I'm not, I just want to go *somewhere*) and I apply boadly, do I have a shot as is pending a decent MCAT? (26+ as I wouldn't apply with anything less). Is a Post-Bacc necessary to give me a good shot?

I'm still working on my EC's atm, I have some hospital volunteering hours and a modest amount of non-clinical volunteering - working on boosting my non-clinical volunteering hours, finding research and finding shadowing opportunities.

I know I've posted something similar before, but I'm specifically asking about pursuing a post-bacc. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you need to look at post-bacc unless your MCAT score is really low since your pre-req's are all good. Just have an overall good package, including essay and good LOR's that support your goals.

I have same GPA as you right now roughly. I also have 24 credits more to go in my undergrad which are all science - hopefully I end up with a 3.4+ GPA by the end of my undergrad. I'm shooting for a 26+ on MCAT but want to go to PCOM so I would have to score closer to a 28+ probably. If I were you, I would make sure I hit a 28+ to stand a chance at any school. Your GPA is low even for DO programs and your EC's seem to be even under average. Are you involved in clubs or any leadership positions? So study very hard for that MCAT and good luck!