Should I go for the cheaper or the more expensive PT program?

Discussion in 'Physical Therapy' started by MYangDPT, Apr 25, 2007.

1. MYangDPT

Other Health Professions Student
    I've recently been accepted to two pt programs. One is a local university (Long Island University) that would offer me scholarship if I went there but does not seem to be as reputable. The other is ranked in us news, has a very good solid curriculum but costs a lot more to go to (New York Medical College). New York Med also has a high licensure exam passing rate. I've already sent my deposit into New York Med but did not totally shut out LIU. I feel that New york med is the better choice at this point but its SO expensive.

Does it matter which program you go to? I need some feedback because a decision needs to be made soon.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DOctorJay

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    as long as the board pass rate is similar go for the cheaper education, once you graduate no one will give a crap about where you went, just that you passed your exam the first time and have licensure in that state

4. bigdan

bigdan SDN Donor
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    CAPTE will only certify programs that meet the minimum standards, so you could argue that either school will give you adequate training.

Personally, I would go with the cheaper school unless there was some single thing that makes you say "I must have this thing at School X". I'm sure you've seen the chatter about loans, earning potential, etc., that goes on in this forum. Exactly how much more would NYMC be, in functional terms? I don't mean "It's only $15K more", I mean "It will take me ... number of years more to pay off my loans", or "$$$ more per month".

Either way, congrats on the acceptances, and have a great time in school - whichever you choose!

dc

5. DocWagner

DocWagner Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
  6. matotom

matotom Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

either school will give you enough info to pass the boards. its your responsibility to use the info to do so.

cheaper is much better.

7. helpfuldoc2b

helpfuldoc2b Membership Revoked
    Removed

CHEAPER, Definitely, your going to have a PT degree not an MD, you have to make the right investment of money to potential income. With experience, no one will care where you went to PT school.

8. blast7

2+ Year Member

Initially I would say cheaper but I would also talk to some of the students at the cheaper school and see what they think of the program. I paid for a private school and I loved the program so it was worth it to me. If you think going to the bigger more expensive school will land you a better job then you would be mislead.

9. PT2MD

PT2MD Hold my beer...
    2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Cheaper...you will thank yourself later.

10. Grue1some

2+ Year Member

My friend is applying next year for physical therapy school and Im glad I have this site to answer some questions..
    Also, I have until Monday to decide on the school.

11. DocDavin

Medical Student
    I would definitely recommend the cheaper option. I am a physical therapist and am now in medical school. In physical therapy, no one cares where you went to school...at all. The best option for getting a job you want after school is to arrange an affiliation/rotation at a place you would like to work and do a good job. As far as getting a job right now, as long as you graduated from an accredited program and are preparing to take the board or have passed it, you can find a job. I get 5-10 flyers in the mail and 1-5 phone calls each week recruiting for jobs. One this week offered a $20,000 signing bonus even for new graduates (it was in Texarkana, though).

Where you go to school matters more for medicine as you still have to apply for residency, and where you went to school has an effect. For PT that doesn't apply.

When I was applying to physical therapy school, the admissions director for one of the programs told me to go wherever I got in as you would only learn 40% of what you needed to know while in school, the rest comes on the job. That is very true, and I would modify it to: go to the cheapest program that accepts you.

12. SuperKirby

7+ Year Member

Physical Therapist
  13. thorn22

2+ Year Member

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    I would go where you think you would thrive the most. You cannot buy peace of mind!

14. futureDPT

2+ Year Member

DPT / OTD
    NYU is a great school so if you can afford it and really want to go there then it would be better. Otherwise, if your worried about the expenses go to the cheaper one. But LIU is also very expensive.

15. marathoner04

2+ Year Member

Pre-Rehab Sci [General]
    Hi,
    I was actually in the same dilemna, and I wound up choosing the more expensive one. If you're not worrying financially, go to whichever school will make you happier and give you better opportunities because you'll be spending the next three years of your life there.