Should I go into debating? *insert joke here*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jabberwocky12

Pharmaceutical Wizard
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've been thinking about adding some extracurriculars onto my pharmcas when I apply next year but I'm not sure what to do. I know that I should put things on there that I would enjoy but I want to narrow down the list of fulfilling activities to things that a pharmacy school would appreciate. So I want to get your opinion about being in a debate club/on a debating team. This is the whole shmear, competitions, trips, team meetings, etc. I was thinking it would be good since it shows I'm able to effectively communicate with people and am not afraid of speaking my mind or afraid of being wrong, and that I can work well with people and on a team.

Any thoughts? Either I do debate team/debate classes or I start joining other clubs like biology or chemistry club. I'm already in the health clubs. Debating was something I found I enjoyed after taking public speaking so I thought I would start doing debating classes along with advanced public speaking.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I've been thinking about adding some extracurriculars onto my pharmcas when I apply next year but I'm not sure what to do. I know that I should put things on there that I would enjoy but I want to narrow down the list of fulfilling activities to things that a pharmacy school would appreciate. So I want to get your opinion about being in a debate club/on a debating team. This is the whole shmear, competitions, trips, team meetings, etc. I was thinking it would be good since it shows I'm able to effectively communicate with people and am not afraid of speaking my mind or afraid of being wrong, and that I can work well with people and on a team.

Any thoughts? Either I do debate team/debate classes or I start joining other clubs like biology or chemistry club. I'm already in the health clubs. Debating was something I found I enjoyed after taking public speaking so I thought I would start doing debating classes along with advanced public speaking.

Thanks!

While conveying credibility is important, even more is your genuine interest and pursuit of a necessary pharmacy skill. Do it because you enjoy it.

I would say that Admissions like to try and distinguish between resume fillers and actual hobbies/interests that help you practice the principles and skills required. If you like what you do, chances are you can explain your passions without pretending.

Members don't see this ad :)
While conveying credibility is important, even more is your genuine interest and pursuit of a necessary pharmacy skill. Do it because you enjoy it.

I would say that Admissions like to try and distinguish between resume fillers and actual hobbies/interests that help you practice the principles and skills required. If you like what you do, chances are you can explain your passions without pretending.

That's exactly why I'm thinking about debating. I've done sales and I learn better by talking with people than by reading or listening to notes. I also like hearing other viewpoints and love training from old jobs as well so debating is something I really enjoy. I was just curious to see if it was worth trying to put on the application; we all don't have enough hours in a day to do what we want so I was wondering if this is worth putting on an application compared to doing chem/bio club or picking up a sport like tennis/chess (which I also enjoy), ya know? :p

That's exactly why I'm thinking about debating. I've done sales and I learn better by talking with people than by reading or listening to notes. I also like hearing other viewpoints and love training from old jobs as well so debating is something I really enjoy. I was just curious to see if it was worth trying to put on the application; we all don't have enough hours in a day to do what we want so I was wondering if this is worth putting on an application compared to doing chem/bio club or picking up a sport like tennis/chess (which I also enjoy), ya know? :p

Well, you're on the right track in preparing for next year. But I would say keep the preparation for things like gpa, PCAT, and healthcare experience. Everything else like work and play should be things that keep your life balanced.

I coach in table tennis and tutor in chess, but I do these things because they are my passion (solely competing isn't gratifying). It just turns out that they are extracurriculars that I would have loved to explain to admissions but never got the chance to.

Is that really the joke? :confused:

there are various other jokes which i figured someone would try to mention. Every other place if you mention debating *someone* decides to make the joke. This is from 4 years of discussion with other people.

So yeah.

Debating is a class here and then you take another one to get course credit while being on the debate team. So it would technically impact (hopefully boost) the GPA. Going with that though, it is a class that could be used for a science or math instead but I'm going for a BS before applying so I'll be all scienced out.

I'd go with debating. You like it and lots of people join chem/bio club. Nobody is going to hold it against you if you aren't in a science club but you could stand out more for competing in debates.

I must say that I liked debating back in high school. Didn't have time for it in college. I agree with the others. A good debater knows how to persuade and communicate well with others and I think those are good qualities to have.:thumbup:

Doing something you love vs. a filler club looks a lot better. I wasn't able to do Pre-Pharmacy Club because I have another organization that I am extremely involved in that has meetings at the same time. But pre-pharm club here is just filled with a bunch of students trying to pad the resume, so I saw my organization as something better to put on an application because not only do I have much more involvement, but I can talk about it passionately in an interview.