Should I go into Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baylorgirl1997

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im still in undergrad as a sophomore and I've recently been looking into going to Pharmacy school. I have read a lot about people saying there are no jobs and the pay is bad. Does anyone have anything positive to say about going to Pharmacy school or being a Pharmacist? I have a lot of outside pressure from my family to do something else (preferably that makes a good amount of money like dentistry) even though I don't care so much about money but I would like to live comfortably one day. I honestly don't think I could last to make it to dental or even all the way through dental school. After learning about Pharmacy and joining a Pre-Pharmacy club at my University I was very excited but after reading a lot of negative views, I'm almost very discouraged now. If you have some realistic views but also a positive view, at least so I can get my family off my back I'd really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

Computer science, finance, accounting, engineering, etc. will earn you plenty of money, give you a much better quality of life (read: not retail), and provide decent to much better job prospects without you having to graduate with $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years in school.

Computer science, finance, accounting, engineering, etc. will earn you plenty of money, give you a much better quality of life (read: not retail), and provide decent to much better job prospects without you having to graduate with $200k+ in loans and spend an additional 4 years in school.

Do you enjoy what you do? If you do then why?

Members don't see this ad :)
My peers who majored in the above, especially computer science, are all buying houses and going on international vacations. They seem to have a great quality of life with little or no student debt.

This is highly dependent on your location. Research pharmacist employment stats where you live, ask your pharmacist how the job market is, and make sure to spend some time working or volunteering in pharmacy before deciding on this path.

Girl, if pharmacy was going bad I wouldn't have even considered it ... you make 100+ gran a year, stable job, increase in number jobs in the next years, Forbes rated it among one of the best fields for millennials to enter ... and on top of that you seem to like it!
I'd say go for it! Of course some areas of the country might not be as good as others, but there are a lot of people who are working for that PharmD, and the reasons that I listed are some of the reasons why it is a hot field ... don't get discouraged by such information, do more research on it and you'll see why you shouldn't give up on it.
If you're scared that you won't find a job, you can start working as a pharm tech now in your undergrad years and the continue part-time as an intern during pharmacy school, you'll for sure get a job at the same place ... even if let's say retail is not what you want to do long term, you can do it for a few years to build your resume after you graduate and then move into something else in pharmacy, the possibilities are endless!

Reactions: 1 users
Girl, if pharmacy was going bad I wouldn't have even considered it ... you make 100+ gran a year, stable job, increase in number jobs in the next years, Forbes rated it among one of the best fields for millennials to enter ... and on top of that you seem to like it!
I'd say go for it! Of course some areas of the country might not be as good as others, but there are a lot of people who are working for that PharmD, and the reasons that I listed are some of the reasons why it is a hot field ... don't get discouraged by such information, do more research on it and you'll see why you shouldn't give up on it.
If you're scared that you won't find a job, you can start working as a pharm tech now in your undergrad years and the continue part-time as an intern during pharmacy school, you'll for sure get a job at the same place ... even if let's say retail is not what you want to do long term, you can do it for a few years to build your resume after you graduate and then move into something else in pharmacy, the possibilities are endless!

head-in-hands.png

LOL if that's how you feel about it, why are you even bother going to pharmacy school or did even consider it?
Anyways everyone is entitled of their own opinion, if that's what you think it's fine.
Here's what I have to say on it. Every pharmacist I worked with hasn't complained about the job and they're really happy where they are. At the pharmacy I work at, interns continue working as graduates and once their pass their national and state exams, they are all hired as pharmacists. Both my 2 cousins after being in retail for a while, they are now working one in a hospital and the other is a teacher at a pharmacy school. These are two examples, but there are many other options. I do not know your own experience, but I don't understand all of this bitterness from some people trying to discourage people from entering this field. Since mine and of many others experience has been positive, I want to promote this field and show that there are actually people who are happy in pharmacy and live a comfortable life. If baylorgirl97 actually likes the field, it's one more important reason for her to consider it.
Since you quoted me on that Forbes article, here it is just for the curiosity of everyone .-. http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mkl45ekdek/15-pharmacists/#324f3f619944
With this, I'm out! I've said my part.

LOL if that's how you feel about it, why are you even bother going to pharmacy school or did even consider it?
Anyways everyone is entitled of their own opinion, if that's what you think it's fine.
Here's what I have to say on it. Every pharmacist I worked with hasn't complained about the job and they're really happy where they are. At the pharmacy I work at, interns continue working as graduates and once their pass their national and state exams, they are all hired as pharmacists. Both my 2 cousins after being in retail for a while, they are now working one in a hospital and the other is a teacher at a pharmacy school. These are two examples, but there are many other options. I do not know your own experience, but I don't understand all of this bitterness from some people trying to discourage people from entering this field. Since mine and of many others experience has been positive, I want to promote this field and show that there are actually people who are happy in pharmacy and live a comfortable life. If baylorgirl97 actually likes the field, it's one more important reason for her to consider it.
Since you quoted me on that Forbes article, here it is just for the curiosity of everyone .-. http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mkl45ekdek/15-pharmacists/#324f3f619944
With this, I'm out! I've said my part.

Let me ask...who do you think you should trust, pharmacists and students who have been in the field for at least a few years, or pre-pharms and journalists who say pharmacy is great, yet many who have never even stepped foot in a pharmacy, let alone a busy retail one?

There is a reason so many people want to escape retail. It's actually quite difficult to do since retail jobs make up about 70% of the jobs, followed by about 20-25% hospital dispensing. The remainder makes up a minuscule portion of all pharmacist jobs.