Should I go to Cornell interview?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by reesie0726, Dec 28, 2001.

1. reesie0726

reesie0726 Senior Member

I just got an interview to Cornell med today. I have been accepted to Downstate and NYU. If I decide to go to the interview, that is another plane ticket and missed time for class. If you are familiar with Cornell, please post a reply of what you think about the school.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jargon124

jargon124 Senior Member

You should go to the Cornell interview. Screw the plane ticket $ and the missed school. Cornell is a GREAT school. I don't have personal experience, but I have heard from several people who have interviewed there and I also have a friend who goes there. Cornell/Columbia are a significant step up from NYU - In short, go to the interview and see what happens! (At least that's what I would do, IF Cornell offers me an interview ;) )

4. Daredevil

Daredevil Senior Member

Attending Physician
    If you have an interview at such a great school, you should go. But then if you don't go, maybe they might send me an invite to interview. ;)

5. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member

Attending Physician
    If you already got into YOUR first choice, then I would not go, but if you are still uncertain about which school, then definitely go. Cornell is a great school, but don't go because everyone on here says its great, go because you think its great and worth a trip to see if it fits your needs.

6. TwoSteveSquared

TwoSteveSquared Senior Member

Congratulations for getting an interview at one of the best med schools in the country. Hope that answers your question.

7. reesie0726

reesie0726 Senior Member

Thanks for the help guys. I read Cornell's website and wanted to get some other feedback about the school. I will go to the interview and hopefully all will go well.

8. rikkitikki

rikkitikki Member

Cornell is a wonderful school in a good location with very supportive staff. Curricullum is PBL centered so if that's not something you're interested in then it may not be worth going to. Otherwise - a terrific option. Good luck

9. Thewonderer

Thewonderer Senior Member

One thing is for sure: NYU is very stingy with financial aid while Cornell can probably give more. Given that, it might worth the $$$ to get another plane ticket. I had friends getting $15k or MORE of grants (money you don't have to pay back) per year from Penn and Duke who only got $4k per year from NYU. NYU relies heavily on loans.

The rest about Cornell has been covered by other people's posts.

10. ckent

ckent Banned
    Banned

I agree with several other posters, Cornell is in a really nice area and has really nice facilities relative to most schools. NYU is very expensive for most people too. I would highly recommend interviewing there.