This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

morganz

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for a little advice. I have applied for three cycles and finally have gotten accepted into a few schools. However, after working as an ER tech for the past two years, I am unsure if I still want to go into medicine.

I feel as though I have lost empathy for most patients. While I still treat them with dignity and respect, I feel as though I do not care as much as I did before this work experience. While the majority of my interactions with patients are positive, the negative ones do tend to have more of an impact. I (as well as one of my coworkers) was punched in the face by a psych patient several months ago and am going to court as a result in the coming months. I have been in several other physical altercations with patients as a result of patients assaulting other healthcare providers in the ER, not to mention the verbal abuse given by many other patients (entitled, druggies, etc.).

I think I am trying to find the silver lining, as one of my life goals was to become a physician. I am just not sure anymore if that is the route I want to keep pursuing.

Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Honestly that's just how most EDs are. As an ED scribe I've seen a host of issues, many of which align with your 'negatives.' Some people love the high paced environment and unpredictability but it's definitely not for me and looks like for you as well. There are countless other specialties though. Maybe try shadowing different ones to see if you like them.

Reactions: 2 users
I am an ED attending. Not all medicine is like the ED. In fact, only the ED is like the ED. Emergency medicine has definitely gone downhill over the past few years but there are still plenty of great career opportunities besides EM. I’d go but avoid EM.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So are you getting ready to start within the next couple of weeks? What are you planning to do? Ask for a deferral?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So are you getting ready to start within the next couple of weeks? What are you planning to do? Ask for a deferral?
I can't tell about any other possible As, but his only other post is about a provisional acceptance at Liberty, so I'm assuming he's sitting on an A for 2022 and having buyer's remorse, rather than contemplating bailing at the last minute on 2021.

I can't tell about any other possible As, but his only other post is about a provisional acceptance at Liberty, so I'm assuming he's sitting on an A for 2022 and having buyer's remorse, rather than contemplating bailing at the last minute on 2021.
But that’s not what he said. He said he has applied 3x and now has “gotten accepted into a few schools”. Of course people jump into help and it’s all a big story. 🤣

But that’s not what he said. He said he has applied 3x and now has “gotten accepted into a few schools”. Of course people jump into help and it’s all a big story. 🤣
Definitely! :) I was just pointing out that he only has one other post, and it's related to a provisional acceptance at Liberty. So, I don't know whether "a few" was a liberal use of the phrase, or if there are other As he hasn't posted about, but, given that he was posting about a provisional A that will carry forward to next year, I think it's highly unlikely that he has other As from the 2020-21 cycle that he is asking about deferring now.

When you think about it, this scenario makes sense, because he now has a full year to think about what he really wants, with no pressure to ask for a deferral or anything. Just sit around and second guess whether he really wants to be a doctor, with help from us! :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Definitely! :) I was just pointing out that he only has one other post, and it's related to a provisional acceptance at Liberty. So, I don't know whether "a few" was a liberal use of the phrase, or if there are other As he hasn't posted about, but, given that he was posting about a provisional A that will carry forward to next year, I think it's highly unlikely that he has other As from the 2020-21 cycle that he is asking about deferring now.

When you think about it, this scenario makes sense, because he now has a full year to think about what he really wants, with no pressure to ask for a deferral or anything. Just sit around and second guess whether he really wants to be a doctor, with help from us! :cool:
Sounds like a big waste of his time. I didn’t realize he had an auto A next year.

Last edited:
It is normal to have doubts, and normal to doubt your ability to empathize because people are usually more vocal when upset, and less vocal when they appreciate something.

Ask yourself, what would you be doing if you didnt do this?

No matter what you do, you will encounter people who are quite difficult. Unless maybe you work from home I suppose.

ER is a whole different world compared to other fields of medicine. I usually make it a rule to never talk someone into pursuing medicine. But in OPS case, they have only seen the limited scope of ER medicine. Seeing other aspects might change their mind. However, shadowing other Docs may restore their desire. My typical response is that if you are thinking about going into medicine...Don't! It's much too hard a path for those with only mild interest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You probably aren’t cut out for EM, but that doesn’t mean you would hate all medical specialties. I recommend you do more shadowing to get a sense of different specialties.

Sorry for any confusion, I accepted an offer last cycle, but got deferred to start school July of 2022. After I accepted that, I got off two waitlists at the last minute (a few days before classes would start), so I just stuck with my initial plan of starting July 2022.

Thank you all for the helpful advice, I really do appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.