Should I go to this post-dec interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NguyenDDS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm very grateful to have multiple acceptances and I was planning to attend MWU-AZ. However, I just received an interview (via AADSAS) to Detroit Mercy about an hour ago and I was wondering it's worth going to? I read about and researched about the school but really don't know enough to make a decision. Also, is there anyone that interviewed at both MWU and UDM that can give me some feedback as well?

Any feedback is appreciated!! Thanks a bunch!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

If you have the $$ to go, I'd say go for it. Esp. if you are interested in UDM.

I interviewed at UDM and I quite liked it. The program is well-established, I thought the facilities were modern and impressive, and they have a solid patient base.

I liked Midwestern as well, but the overall atmosphere seemed overly focused on finances and profit. Of course dentists need to be financially viable, but the way they presented themselves was a little much for me.

At my interview, other interviewers were expressing (not unreasonable) concerns about the city of Detroit itself (crime, lack of things to do, overall ugliness), although I actually sort of liked the city. Also, the dental building is not part of the main campus, so you might have to travel to use a particular main campus facility, which I did consider to be a negative.

From the financial aid info they gave us, the costs seem comparable.

If you look at the UDM school-specific thread, there is a post by someone in admissions at UDM, basically saying that they are still going to award about 75 more seats post-Dec, to fill the remaining 40 seats left in the class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess I'm kind of biased because I'll be attending MWU (if I don't get into my state school) this fall, but I genuinely loved the program and the school left a lasting impression on me after the interview. I liked how they have an ample number of seats available for D3's and I loved how they had an extensive patient pool. The faculty is what really won me over. I think it's freaking awesome how they don't have office hours and you can walk in anytime you want. I think they are really there to make sure you become a competent dentist. The price is, however, a turn-off but I think you get a quality education. The Glendale-Phoenix area also seems pretty lively.

If you aren't sure that MWU is the best fit for you, I suggest going to the UDM interview, I've heard great things about that program as well! :) Best of luck on your decision, maybe I'll see you this fall!

I'm on the waitlist at UDM, so I will suggest that you do not go to the interview :). Actually I'm on the waitlist at MWU-AZ too so really no bug difference.

Jokes aside, the main differences seem to be not in the facilities, but in the student bodies. UDM seems to be more diverse (I'm not talking just racially/ethnically, which it is). UDM also has an established reputation, but with MWU you'll have a chance to be part of forming the foundational reputation. At MWU you also interact with people from other programs more.

So it really just depends on what you like.

Thanks everyone!!! :) Very helpful feedback!

I decided to not go to UDM interview due to various reasons. Location was the main culprit. Plus, I believe I'm already sold on MWU-AZ :) I hope this opens a spot for someone who really wants it.Thanks again!