Should I have taken all core pre-reqs before enrolling in test prep?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lullapalooza

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've spoken to a few people, and most have told me that based on my current grades and academic progress, that I really need to focus on earning a high score on the MCAT.

My plan until recently has been: Finish organic chemistry and physics by early June. Enroll in Kaplan test prep class until first week of August. Take the MCAT last week of August.

Based on what people have told me, I've gotten the impression that much of the success on the MCAT is determined on your ability to crack a test, as opposed to your actual knowledge of the subject matter.

That being said, is there any way that I can start to learn the best MCAT test-taking techniques right now? Would it be unwise to enroll in a Kaplan or TPR course prior to have completed organic chemistry and physics? What options are available to someone like myself who is anxious to get the ball rolling? Given the importance of my performance on the MCAT and its possible implications for medical school admissions, I want to make sure that I can get the highest score. But taking an all encompassing Kaplan course over the summer before the test seems a little bit last minute to me.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

That being said, is there any way that I can start to learn the best MCAT test-taking techniques right now? Would it be unwise to enroll in a Kaplan or TPR course prior to have completed organic chemistry and physics? What options are available to someone like myself who is anxious to get the ball rolling? Given the importance of my performance on the MCAT and its possible implications for medical school admissions, I want to make sure that I can get the highest score. But taking an all encompassing Kaplan course over the summer before the test seems a little bit last minute to me.

In my opinion, it is essential that you take all the required courses prior to taking the MCAT (and do well in them). The review courses are exactly what their name implies-they are to review that which you have learned in the classroom and are not substitutes for the actual classroom experience. Taking the courses may give you a deeper understanding of the subject matter and may help you on the MCAT. Personally, I had an excellent organic chemistry professor for both semesters, and I always kill MCAT orgo questions whenever I do practice problems (with very little review). This is just my opinion. Good luck.