Should I include a previous career in my CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
F

former DC

Prior to medical school I worked as a chiropractor. Much has changed, as I am now in the field of psychiatry. Soon I will be reaching out to potential employers for my first attending position, so I am working on updating my CV. In the past (such as with the residency match process), I have always included all of my educational and professional work history going back to my undergraduate studies. However, I don't really find my experiences in chiropractic to be all that relevant to what I am doing now. I also don't know if including my chiropractic past could be a turnoff to some employers.

I have read that when constructing a CV, it is important to keep things concise and relevant. On the other hand, I have also read that CVs should include all medical, graduate, and undergraduate studies plus any major work experiences. Is it necessary to include any of my chiropractic education and work history? Do I even need to include my undergraduate studies? (If I did that but omitted the chiropractic stuff, there would be a large unexplained time gap.) Or is it acceptable to present my CV as if my life began in medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see why not to list it. It's not like it's fluff and it adds something unique. I don't think anyone would be passing on you because of it. What's their alternative? I'd say list it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Prior to medical school I worked as a chiropractor. Much has changed, as I am now in the field of psychiatry. Soon I will be reaching out to potential employers for my first attending position, so I am working on updating my CV. In the past (such as with the residency match process), I have always included all of my educational and professional work history going back to my undergraduate studies. However, I don't really find my experiences in chiropractic to be all that relevant to what I am doing now. I also don't know if including my chiropractic past could be a turnoff to some employers.

I have read that when constructing a CV, it is important to keep things concise and relevant. On the other hand, I have also read that CVs should include all medical, graduate, and undergraduate studies plus any major work experiences. Is it necessary to include any of my chiropractic education and work history? Do I even need to include my undergraduate studies? (If I did that but omitted the chiropractic stuff, there would be a large unexplained time gap.) Or is it acceptable to present my CV as if my life began in medical school?

Include all your past education. If you worked as a chiropractor for some time, then I'd recommend including a bullet point listing the years of that employment. The rule with CVs is, if there's a gap, and there's no explanation, the reader has a right to assume you were in jail.

I see no reason why having a prior career as a chiropractor would exclude you from jobs in psychiatry. If you were applying for jobs in medicine or surgery it might be more of an issue, but even there, you have since gone to medical school!

Reactions: 1 user