Should I include elective rotations on ERAS??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitz2006

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a psych resident, applying for Pain medicine fellowship.

I want the PDs to see that I have done 2 pain electives. While I have mentioned them in my personal statement, should I also include them in my ERAS app? Such as in 'work experience,'?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Still no. The answer is the same now as when you applied for residency.

As I mentioned in the other similar thread, when I was a medical student (I'm IMG), I listed the electives under 'work experience', since electives are not on our medical school transcript.

I just want to make sure fellowship directors don't miss out on my pain experience that i've had.

Answer still doesn't change! It's not work experience

So any suggestions on how I can draw a PD's attention to my elective work. I guess just personal statement mention, and LOR?

The longer answer is, unlike residency where the are often a ton of applications and PDs likely don't have time to review LORs/PS in depth prior to offering interview, fellowship applications involve a much smaller pool. Yes, I know pain is pretty competitive but it is still a much, much smaller subset of people than a huge specialty like Psych.

Because of this, your application is much more likely to be considered as whole including LORs (which have a greater impact since it's a smaller field, increasing the chances of docs actually knowing each other) and personal statements. It's an foregone assumption that you have done several electives in the field - how else would you develop (and confirm) interest in the field? But including this as work experience is absolutely wrong - if I am applying to critical care, should I include my 2 months in the ICU as an intern, or my extra month in the cardiac ICU this year? No way, it's part of my residency and I will have gained a letter from these rotations.

I know it's awkward not having much to put in "work experience" but know that you are hardly alone - most people haven't had side jobs in medical school or residency. Some have taken time off between residency and fellowship, and that is predominantly what this field is for.

The longer answer is, unlike residency where the are often a ton of applications and PDs likely don't have time to review LORs/PS in depth prior to offering interview, fellowship applications involve a much smaller pool. Yes, I know pain is pretty competitive but it is still a much, much smaller subset of people than a huge specialty like Psych.

Because of this, your application is much more likely to be considered as whole including LORs (which have a greater impact since it's a smaller field, increasing the chances of docs actually knowing each other) and personal statements. It's an foregone assumption that you have done several electives in the field - how else would you develop (and confirm) interest in the field? But including this as work experience is absolutely wrong - if I am applying to critical care, should I include my 2 months in the ICU as an intern, or my extra month in the cardiac ICU this year? No way, it's part of my residency and I will have gained a letter from these rotations.

I know it's awkward not having much to put in "work experience" but know that you are hardly alone - most people haven't had side jobs in medical school or residency. Some have taken time off between residency and fellowship, and that is predominantly what this field is for.

Yeah I would agree with this. I have done 2 pain rotations too, but I think it would look odd to list them under work experience since they are part of residency. I assume that it will be taken as understood by having a Pain letter that I rotated, as well as by having some experiences to discuss both in person (hopefully!) and in the PS. How many letters from pain docs are needed?

At the very least 1, 2 would be better if possible but can be tough since you may not have been exposed to a large number of pain physicians. This is the case for many subspecialties.

So you'd have PD, Pain doc, then "other" who would be more of a character letter "this resident is so good because of XYZ..."

At the very least 1, 2 would be better if possible but can be tough since you may not have been exposed to a large number of pain physicians. This is the case for many subspecialties.

So you'd have PD, Pain doc, then "other" who would be more of a character letter "this resident is so good because of XYZ..."

Yeah that's my plan actually - I think PD likes me, I am in the process of getting the pain doc letter, and I have a previous PD letter that's really good. I kind of feel like I'm back applying for residency - everything is so nerve wrecking.