Should I Include Owning A Business on My App?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

james1988

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I own a small online t-shirt boutique and am also currently working on taking out some patents on some ideas I had for certain technologies; should I include these things on my application or do adcoms not care about this kinda stuff? will these things make my app stronger or will they just be space fillers?

Members don't see this ad.

i had a small home business that was my livelihood for about a year. it's going in my EC section.

Many school's admissions web sites list that significant experience outside the realm of medicine is an interesting aspect of a candidate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would absolutely include it. In fact, if it were me, it would be near the top of my list. How many pre-meds do you know that own their own business? I don't know any. Anything that you can put down to differentiate yourself from other candidates is a good thing.

Owning your own business is a big risk, one that many aren't willing to take. The fact that you became an entrepreneur says a lot about your personality and drive. To run a business, you have to have certain skills. Time, people, and money management are just three of them. Find out a way to explain how owning your own business qualifies you as an applicant and what you learned from the experience.

With all the cookie cutter applicants, when the application readers (faculty members who read for an hour or two a day, on the side) see something interesting, a typical comment is, "this would be an interesting person to talk to-- interview!" Something on your application that is a "conversation piece" might help to get you some interviews.

Yes, it went in my application and I am sure it helped when I applied. Also gave me something to talk about with the interviewer.

I would absolutely include it. In fact, if it were me, it would be near the top of my list. How many pre-meds do you know that own their own business? I don't know any. Anything that you can put down to differentiate yourself from other candidates is a good thing.

Owning your own business is a big risk, one that many aren't willing to take. The fact that you became an entrepreneur says a lot about your personality and drive. To run a business, you have to have certain skills. Time, people, and money management are just three of them. Find out a way to explain how owning your own business qualifies you as an applicant and what you learned from the experience.
i think the EC's are arranged by date so unless it's the first thing on your EC list, it won't be on "top." unless you mean that figuratively.

absolutely. not sure how in-depth your business is, but i owned/operated a small tech firm for ~5 years and it was the major topic of almost every interview.

There is no question that you should include this in your application. make sure that you understand how to spin it. pick out personal qualities that will enable you to perform as a future physician, and use these to focus the short paragraph on your businesses. you will inevitably get asked about these, so make sure you can bring conversations back towards medicine when you are asked.

There is no question that you should include this in your application. make sure that you understand how to spin it. pick out personal qualities that will enable you to perform as a future physician, and use these to focus the short paragraph on your businesses. you will inevitably get asked about these, so make sure you can bring conversations back towards medicine when you are asked.

:thumbup: exactly

Or don't, to show that you have interests outside of medicine. That's what well rounded is all about.

I also think you should definitely include it in your app. I own a business as well and almost every interviewer mentioned it in a positive light. A few people even asked for my services (of course I did not accept their business). It's definitely something that can set you apart from the other applicants and shows that you're motivated and self sufficient.