Should I include professional development on my CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychstudent90

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently a registered provisional psychologist undertaking a Master of Psychology. I am also hoping to become an academic and researcher, and aim to begin a PhD once I graduate.

I have undertaken a lot of professional development over the past 8-9 years in psychology, mostly developed for psychologists. It is currently listed on my CV in alphabetical order by year. There are probably at least 120-130 events listed.

I feel that PD events are currently occupying a bit too much space on my CV, but I also want future employers to know how much effort I have put in to training as a psychologist.

What would you recommend?

Many thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I am currently a registered provisional psychologist undertaking a Master of Psychology. I am also hoping to become an academic and researcher, and aim to begin a PhD once I graduate.

I have undertaken a lot of professional development over the past 8-9 years in psychology, mostly developed for psychologists. It is currently listed on my CV in alphabetical order by year. There are probably at least 120-130 events listed.

I feel that PD events are currently occupying a bit too much space on my CV, but I also want future employers to know how much effort I have put in to training as a psychologist.

What would you recommend?

Many thanks!
I’d say to list a few most significant ones (3-5, maybe) with a note that it’s out of 120 attended.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think listing PD is CV stacking personally unless it’s a significant training experience like a certification or something.

I think it depends on career stage and audience for the CV. It sounds like OP is applying to PhD programs, and thus audience would be research mentors. In which case I don't think a ton of PD is necessarily helpful or harmful -- probably depends on the professor. If they were applying for a clinical position it would be more likely to be helpful. Many research-focused faculty would probably find this info/background to be anathema, though.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have a special certification (for example, biofeedback) or you completed a course of study at a well recognized training institute, you could note this briefly. But I would not put regular CE programs on the CV. Besides, academics are well aware that there is a lot of low quality CE out there, so beware of overvaluing these experiences.

Reactions: 4 users