Should I include this commitment?

Started by RdBruce
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RdBruce

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

Through college, I was the caretaker of my grandparents. I brought groceries and medications for them. I also cleaned and maintained their house, taught them conversational English, and drove them to doctor's appointments, etc.

This was a fairly significant time commitment for me at about 6 hours every 2-3 weeks for the past 3 years and counting. Would this activity be appropriate to list this on my application? If so, what would it fall under?

Thank you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Probably not. It's family. I could have put being a parent and cleaning and caring for children, but it doesn't qualify, much like this activity.

ah, but you did. at a minimum, AMCAS asks if you have any dependents. so even if you hadn't brought it up in your PS, it still would have been a part of your record.

I do agree though that this doesn't belong in the activities section. OP should find a way to work it into the PS if it was a meaningful experience that sh/e would be willing to discuss at an interview.
 
What if you were a part of his or her care? Several years ago, my grandfather had a stroke. He was invalid, but the family decided that we would care for him at home. Eventually he got to the point where he had no function below the waist. For a few years, there were a few days a week where I had a 4 or 6 hour shift serving basically in the capacity of his nurse.

It definitely had an impact on my desire to become a physician and also opened my eyes to a lot of the not so nice things about working with a patient.
 
What if you were a part of his or her care? Several years ago, my grandfather had a stroke. He was invalid, but the family decided that we would care for him at home. Eventually he got to the point where he had no function below the waist. For a few years, there were a few days a week where I had a 4 or 6 hour shift serving basically in the capacity of his nurse.

It definitely had an impact on my desire to become a physician and also opened my eyes to a lot of the not so nice things about working with a patient.

I echo gravitywave. Definitely work it into your PS but leave it out of the activities. I think putting "caring for grandfather" might as well say "didn't have anything else and I am trying to make it more than it was." I am not saying that is how it is, just that it looks like that. This is my opinion.
 
Probably not. It's family. I could have put being a parent and cleaning and caring for children, but it doesn't qualify, much like this activity.


really? caring for your child is the same thing as caring for a sick family member?
 
I echo gravitywave. Definitely work it into your PS but leave it out of the activities. I think putting "caring for grandfather" might as well say "didn't have anything else and I am trying to make it more than it was." I am not saying that is how it is, just that it looks like that. This is my opinion.

Agreed, this belongs only in your PS if at all.